LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pacesetters........

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pacesetters........

I've searched everywhere and am only find stuff concerning LS1's. I was going to put a cam in the car due to other reasons from another post I have, but a good friend convinced me that even though it was convient to put one in I should start with the basics...headers. I see that pacesetters are ceramic coated but that they are not stainless, but with the y pipe you can get a set for about 500 bucks. Are they really worth it or is it better to just save and get some kooks? I've heard some people say they are better than gold, but some say they are the biggest piles of trash. I want to know what you guys think and your opinion on them. I would think that after 2 or 3 years and they rust through you have to buy another set anyway. My budget is 600. Where should I start? I drive this car every day. Mods are in sig.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well alot of us on here are running pacesetter long tubes pretty much the best bang for the buck i have pacesetters long tubes and i love them no problems so far some people like them some people hate them and will tell you to go with kooks or another brand of headers BUT ceramic pacesetter long tubes and y pipe will do you just right without going over your budget
Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
I've searched everywhere and am only find stuff concerning LS1's. I was going to put a cam in the car due to other reasons from another post I have, but a good friend convinced me that even though it was convient to put one in I should start with the basics...headers. I see that pacesetters are ceramic coated but that they are not stainless, but with the y pipe you can get a set for about 500 bucks. Are they really worth it or is it better to just save and get some kooks? I've heard some people say they are better than gold, but some say they are the biggest piles of trash. I want to know what you guys think and your opinion on them. I would think that after 2 or 3 years and they rust through you have to buy another set anyway. My budget is 600. Where should I start? I drive this car every day. Mods are in sig.
Headers are one of the best bang for you buck mods out there. I'd definitely get them before the cam, unless you were already removing your timing cover or something (I don't remember your other post). If that was the case, then a cam would be first and I'd save for headers.
If you have a budget of 600, then it's Pacesetters all the way. If you get the ceramic coated headers, they will last a while. At least long enough for you to get your money's worth out of them. I have PS LT's on my car now and I like them a lot. Fitment and ground clearance is very good.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

I'm rolling pacesetters and had no problems yet out of them but if you live in a non emissions area don't get emission ready headers you will hate life installing those things I ended up cutting off the egr tube and welding it up. The headers and y pipe is a great bang for the buck
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rusty2198
I'm rolling pacesetters and had no problems yet out of them but if you live in a non emissions area don't get emission ready headers you will hate life installing those things I ended up cutting off the egr tube and welding it up. The headers and y pipe is a great bang for the buck
+1. Forgot to say that...get race style headers!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Word^^
Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend had an issue with Pacesetters on his 00 Camaro SS SLP. The y-pipe rattles annoyingly... Pacesetters are definitely the budget header. I would personally go with Jethot LT's and ORY from ws6store or the LPP longtubes for a little bit more.

Definitely get race-style (no cats) ceramic coated Pacesetters if you are set on getting those and they will last you a few years... Don't get just the black unpolished, unpainted ones like my friend did or else you will endure times of heartbreak

My personal opinion is do it once and do it right the first time and never do it again but if you are on a budget go coated Pacesetter race style
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

If your budget is $600 get some of the stainless LPP headers. That's enough for them.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPP's...........
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had coated Pasesetter LT's on my Formula. They worked out great for me. Get the coated ones though!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I run pacesetter"s race style with an ory pipe. The drivers side needed a slight alteration to the floor support for clearance. minor. Other than that, very happy with them.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it once and not have to do it again.. Stainless steel LPP LT's (no cats) and Y-pipe will probably be around $650 when they come back out.. Don't eat out a few days a week and you are there
Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

I just installed pacesetter long tubes last weekend on my car. so i cant really give you any advice on how long they last. but i can say they install pretty easy i thought. some people say u have to remove steering and they just slid in without removing it. the only problem you will run into is the pacesetter ory, mine we had to force it together and weld it and then i got band clamps to seal it completly. other than that i thought they are a pretty good deal. i got mine from texas speed with the o2 extensions for $565 shipped and ready to go.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

I have non coated pacesetter longtubes, and ORY, they are hooked up to my stock muffler so it is a very nice mellow sound until you romp on it. I have the emission fittings and everything hooked up so I diddnt have to worry about a tune to get rid of any SES lights.

The black coating burned off pretty quickly but I dont really care its just going to have a rust look, its not a show car engine bay anyways. The clearance is decent as well.

The only problem I have is the y pipe rattles at certain RPM's but that will be fixed as soon as I wrap the y pipe with header wrap and some automotive hose. that should do it. replacing the motor mounts I have heard gets rid of any vibration as well.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oifish
I have non coated pacesetter longtubes, and ORY, they are hooked up to my stock muffler so it is a very nice mellow sound until you romp on it. I have the emission fittings and everything hooked up so I diddnt have to worry about a tune to get rid of any SES lights.

The black coating burned off pretty quickly but I dont really care its just going to have a rust look, its not a show car engine bay anyways. The clearance is decent as well.

The only problem I have is the y pipe rattles at certain RPM's but that will be fixed as soon as I wrap the y pipe with header wrap and some automotive hose. that should do it. replacing the motor mounts I have heard gets rid of any vibration as well.
I have painted (uncoated) PS LT's as well. The paint started flaking off after the first half hour of running the car, lol. But like you I really don't care what it looks like, as long as it works. I got the headers for cheap from someone local, so if I get a couple years out of them, I'll be satisfied. Header swaps aren't that difficult anyways. Next time it will be stainless steel.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I used the Coated Race-Style Pacesetter LT's on my LT1 setup, and I'm using them on my current LS setup..they work well.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

I got pacesetters, budget header no issues.

I know its kind of off topic but I have to ask, why is adding a cam covenant now? Because I would much rather add a cam when its "easy" to do, then add it when its "hard" to do. Sure you will suffer hp, but you will have a lot easier time putting it in.

Also, generally people do start off with bolt on's.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

He's changing the Opti if I remember right..I'm the good friend that he's referring to..lol

I told him that Headers will make a world of difference and at the moment with the limited budget you can run the Headers and the car would run very well without having to be tuned. With the Cam he would have to tune it, so my opinion was the Headers.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bombebomb
I got pacesetters, budget header no issues.

I know its kind of off topic but I have to ask, why is adding a cam covenant now? Because I would much rather add a cam when its "easy" to do, then add it when its "hard" to do. Sure you will suffer hp, but you will have a lot easier time putting it in.

Also, generally people do start off with bolt on's.
It is convenant right now because I have the timing cover off, the oil pan off, the intake pulled, and am about to get the trans out. The only thing i'm not replacing (in terms of gaskets, and seals) is the head gaskets...hell i'll just go ahead and do those. My car has 167,xxx on iy and i'm just trying to reseal all the old stuff. It leaks horrible, and now that I have the timing cover off the chain is loose as a goose! I'll just order a new chain from work though. To answer you question... I'm like four bolts away from putting one in, thats all.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

you should probably go with shorty headers though...i've heard they give you more torque than longtubes

Quick Reply: pacesetters........