LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adapting the B-body waterpump for F-bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adapting the B-body waterpump for F-bodies

Long story short, I didn't want to ruin my new GM pump so Dwayne(96capricemgr) gave me one of his b-body cores and I adapted it over.
The heater hose is smaller than an f-body pump so I heated the area around the steel line and pulled it out. If you look at the photo there is a bushing in there and that was due to me using junk cutting fluid for the 1/2 NPT threads so.... I took it to the guys in our machine shop and they bored it out and we then tapped it for a 3/4 NPT. This is the absolute max as there really isn't much material left. After the 3/4 NPT to 1/2 NPT bushing was installed , using red lock tite, I installed the fittings I got from Performance Stainless. It is a 1/2 NPT to a 3/4 hose barb fitting. You can also get them in various lengths which is needed for the heater hose.
Next, I tapped the boss on the b-body pump where our oil cooler hose attaches. Again, this is also a 3/4 hose so I tapped the boss to a 1/2 NPT.
The final thing to do was to heat the steel tube by the t-stat housing and swing it straight up. I still need to cut the tube shorter and flare the end and install the temp sensor in the pump.
Here is a pic of the finished pump:

Last edited by 94zgreenmachine; 03-07-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we look at the photos? There's only one >_> I think you forgot to link to the others. Take any pics of a before and after?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

I removed the "s" from Photo in my first post, only one pic. That is the after pic. The b-body pump has no hose attachment on the right side of the pump. The hose barb on the left, with the bushing in my pic was the smaller tube that needed to be 3/4.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure I understand why you did this unless its just a matter that you have all the fittings already at hand and can do the machine work for free. These junked up pumps are on here all the time for like $25 and you can dissasemble with a hammer and punch to make yourself a new looking housing for a EWP like you are using. I hope you painted/powdercoated the housing while you had it all apart and cleaned up. The end result sure looks nice though.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

If you read the post I said Igot a pump form someone and I didn't want to use my GM pump that has only 1500 miles on it.
It didn't cost me a dime except for the barb fittings. Any one with access to a drill press can drill the hole out for the 1/2 npt, just use a good cutting fluid when you drill and tap.
I thought I would share a different view.....
Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i think its pretty cool. definately outside of the box. i wish you would have spoken up, ive got a water pump i coulda donated if you wanted to pay shipping. either way, good job!

Quick Reply: Adapting the B-body waterpump for F-bodies