LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help w/ overheating LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/ overheating LT1

Hey fellas,

I'm a newbie with the LT1 and have a question about my Camaro. As of last night it started to overheat rather quick and I believe it's the Tstat but would like your opinions/expertise. So here is what happened..........

Started the car, drove maybe five minutes and saw the temp was above 220. Normally the car never goes above mid 180's when actually moving. I made it home, no biggie. So this morning I fired her up, ran to the store real quick.........again the temp gauge just kept climbing and never began to cool off. Each time this has happened I've noticed the heater is not blowing warm either. The upper rad hose is hot, but the lower one isn't. Fans work too when A/C is on full blast.

I recently had the water pump/opti/radiator replaced, so I dont think the issue is with those parts.

Any help is appreciated!! I'm out of free tows with AAA lol so I'd like to handle this myself.

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong forums

Thanks,
James
97 Z28
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well it could be a couple of things.

First thing I want to say is that, with stock programming, the low speed fan is set to turn on at 226* and the high speed fan is set to go on at 235*. There is nothing wrong if the car reaches ~226 degrees and goes back down in cycles.

If your heater is not blowing hot air, you either have a clogged heater core, or more likely you have air in the system and it needs to be properly bled.

Let the car cool down completely, remove the rad cap, open up both bleeder screws. Cover the opti with a towel so that no coolant gets on it. Fill at radiator until you see coolant come out of the bleeder screws. Once you see it come out of a bleeder screw, tighten up that bleeder screw. Fill until the radiator is full and cap it off. You may have to repeat this one more time after the car has come to full operating temperature and has cooled down completely again.

If that doesn't cure the problem and the car still over heats, then it may be your T-stat. It's an easy replacement and you might as well throw in a 160 while you are at it. Make sure to bleed it again afterward.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the ideas, I'll report back!

-James
Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

did your fans come on?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Teching In

First thing I want to say is that, with stock programming, the low speed fan is set to turn on at 226* and the high speed fan is set to go on at 235*. There is nothing wrong if the car reaches ~226 degrees and goes back down in cycles.
When I first got my camaro I actually got it towed home after i seen the temp go over 220 degrees. Thats actually when i joined this forum and was amazed to find out the above info. With my car being boosted I still wont drive for long amounts of times until i can get it tuned and have the fans kick on earlier.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Georgekobe8
When I first got my camaro I actually got it towed home after i seen the temp go over 220 degrees. Thats actually when i joined this forum and was amazed to find out the above info. With my car being boosted I still wont drive for long amounts of times until i can get it tuned and have the fans kick on earlier.
Your car is boosted and it's not tuned? The fan controls should have been adjusted with a proper tune.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

no its never been tuned nor has it been over 70mph due to the 4.10 gears. It pulls real hard up to that but then the speed limiter kicks in due to the pcm not being re-flashed. The car hasnt been driving more than 3k miles since everythings been done. I bought the car in november and have put less that 400 miles on it. I had the cash lieing around to buy the lt1edit but then ran into some tranny problems. That should be fixed within the next 2 weeks then tuned most likley the next week.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the fans came on..........I forget to mention that a Hypertech tuner came with the car, so the fan comes on much earlier than the aforementioned 226 and 235. The car has never seen north of 210, and that was dead heat summer/bumper to bumper traffic with the A/C full blast. I took the car in to my mechanic earlier and I'll let him deal with it.........to be honest I'm scared to death of accidentally douching the Opti with coolant and dont want to replace that again.

Thanks for all that replied!

-James
Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

i had the same problem with mine. my first problem was that i had a clog in one of my radiator channels. also, make sure that you have the air dam on underneath the car. i learned this the hard way because i took it off thinking it was just a scrape gaurd. my car did this same thing in both instances so if you do have the air dam on then i'd say bleed the system.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

yup, air dam is still there and radiator is less than 2 years old..........I'm almost positive it's the Tstat. I should know later this afternoon!

-James
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

changing the t stat is a 5 min. job and you dont lose but very little coolant doing it. i know you said you already took it somewhere but next time dont be scared of changing it yourself
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djjab57
changing the t stat is a 5 min. job and you dont lose but very little coolant doing it. i know you said you already took it somewhere but next time dont be scared of changing it yourself
I'm a 5.0 guy, cut me some slack lol Seriously though, I'm not really up to speed with all the LT1 stuff yet.......I just didn't want to wet the Opti, as I just replaced it less than 2 months again due to a leaking water pump.

Back on topic.............it was a clogged radiator that was the culprit......so I guess it was a good thing I took the car to a shop

-James
Old 03-11-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

LOL i wasnt giving you a hard time i was just letting you know, glad you got it fixed
James

Last edited by djjab57; 03-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by grngt50
I'm a 5.0 guy, cut me some slack lol Seriously though, I'm not really up to speed with all the LT1 stuff yet.......I just didn't want to wet the Opti, as I just replaced it less than 2 months again due to a leaking water pump.

Back on topic.............it was a clogged radiator that was the culprit......so I guess it was a good thing I took the car to a shop

-James
Glad you got it fixed...the type of car you drive...not the radiator.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djjab57
LOL i wasnt giving you a hard time i was just ketting you know glad you got it fixed
James
haha it's all good bro

-James
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Glad you got it fixed...the type of car you drive...not the radiator.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

ok quick question, should I go with the normal stainless steel braided rubber hose or should i get the teflon coated stainless braided line? Im getting mixed reviews.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Georgekobe8
ok quick question, should I go with the normal stainless steel braided rubber hose or should i get the teflon coated stainless braided line? Im getting mixed reviews.
I would just get regular replacement radiator hoses from any auto parts store. They should last you a long time.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ overheating LT1