LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Couple Of Problems From Last Year......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Of Problems From Last Year......

Well I have put it off for long enough and its starting to get nice out and about time to get the car back out, but I have a couple problems

First off after the car is warmed up it has problems restarting. I changed the coolant temp sensor, but that didn't change anything. It acts like its flooded and I have to hold the gas pedal on the floor to get it to fire back up. I almost think that the injectors are leaking down, but it will do it right away of within an hour. So if I stop and fill it up with gas its hard to restart. I'll do a test and see if its loosing pressure and then if it is try to find where its leaking.

Second problem and it has only happened a handful of times is that the car seems to loose idle ocasionally. It seems like it does it under firm braking most of the time, but sometimes just an easy first gear takeoff then push the clutch back in again it will idle down to 300 rpms or so then slowly come back up to about 900 rpms

Kind of hard to explain the 2nd senerio, but if you need more info let me know.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by Turnin20s; 03-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

check your coil and ICM, the two problems could be related
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djjab57
check your coil and ICM, the two problems could be related
Huh, thats the first that I have thought about that. I have the ICM spaced out from the head, but I'll get a new coil since mine is still stock and see if that helps.

Is there anyway to test the ICM or just have to buy a new one?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Huh, thats the first that I have thought about that. I have the ICM spaced out from the head, but I'll get a new coil since mine is still stock and see if that helps.

Is there anyway to test the ICM or just have to buy a new one?

Thanks
Yes you can test the ICM, but it's difficult to find an Autozone that carries the right connection.

I would look at either the o2's or the MAF for you issue of problems after the car warms up.

I would hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold and verify that you don't have a vacuum leak (leaking intake manifold seal/gasket or a torn intake elbow, etc). That could be the cause of your idle problems. Also a faulty IAC can cause the same problem.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

auto parts can test it if they have the right connectors, they need the one with pig tails. most of the time when i go to have it done that cant find it
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Yes you can test the ICM, but it's difficult to find an Autozone that carries the right connection.

I would look at either the o2's or the MAF for you issue of problems after the car warms up.

I would hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold and verify that you don't have a vacuum leak (leaking intake manifold seal/gasket or a torn intake elbow, etc). That could be the cause of your idle problems. Also a faulty IAC can cause the same problem.

Could get a new IAC from GM dealer????
Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Could get a new IAC from GM dealer????
Yeah.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have any check engine lights and that makes me think its not the IAC, MAF, or the 02s but I could be wrong.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I don't have any check engine lights and that makes me think its not the IAC, MAF, or the 02s but I could be wrong.
Never hurts to test them.

Unplug the o2's and the MAF, start the car (it might struggle for a second, but it will start). Let the car warm up and then drive it around and see if any of the symptoms disappear.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Never hurts to test them.

Unplug the o2's and the MAF, start the car (it might struggle for a second, but it will start). Let the car warm up and then drive it around and see if any of the symptoms disappear.
Alright I'll give it a try when the roads are cleaned off, they are still covered with salt and I'm not taking it out yet, mabye in a week or so if we keep getting rain like this LOL