LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What parts should I use for tune up & maintenance on possibly high mile engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts should I use for tune up & maintenance on possibly high mile engine?

Hi I had the previous post of Need help picking the right parts for performance or crate engine, so now since the car has been sitting since the day I bought it last year and I still don’t know if the engine has 80,000 or 200,000 on it & I know it wasn’t running on all cylinders I’m going to have a mechanic tune it up and maintain everything so I could see if its running right so I could do heads & cam.

What should I do because the mechanic I’m going to have work on the car is pretty good but his English is not so good so I would like to tell him or give him what parts need to be changed besides what he suggests or I think he’s saying?

I was thinking E3 spark plugs at $6.00 a piece, MSD wires at $125.00 and the auto parts guy suggested doing a Cardone water pump at $100.00 & ACDelco Cap & Rotor $190.00 since I would be taking apart that area already. If my Optispark is bad does the eBay one come with a cap & rotor?

When I changed the rear axle to an Impala since the car had a Caprice drum rear end it started leaking so it needs to be fixed and I’m also going to put 22” wheels on & try to improve horse so I was wondering what gear ratio I should change to? I was thinking 3.73 because it’s going to be a summer street driver and that’s what was in my Mustang and is $600-$650 a good price for parts and labor lifetime warranty at a highly respected rear end shop?

Please list any suggestion on what I should do and actual parts because I’m trying to get this done this week and I like to buy quality parts to do it once or until it’s time to change the part again thanks.

P.S. I’m going to post this in multiple LT1 forums for fast responses and different opinions in case nobody responds.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

im gonna go ahead and say that you shouldnt spend a dime on a possible 200k LT1.

get a low mileage used LT1 and slap that in there. one that you know is working and you can confirm the miles on. then you won't have to change all that crap, and if you want to head/cam it you can do it while the engine is going in.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Have your mechanic perform a compression test to determine the health of the block.

Get new plugs, wires, coil, and a AC Delco/Delphi distributor (the whole thing, not just the cap and rotor). The best deal for a opti is from "thepartsladi" on Ebay.

If it's an auto, get a 3000+ stall and 3.73 gears.

First mods to buy should be a CAI, headers, and exhaust. After that, save up for heads and cam.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

if you do decide to tune this old motor up. DONT waste your money on e3 spark plugs. A stock lt1 will run better on a cheap copper plug (NGK TR55), that can be had for under $2 a piece. Put that money elsewhere
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Default To ss.slp.ls1

So the Optispark you’re talking about from eBay comes with a cap & rotor & Optispark or are they separate?

With a compression test do you take a spark plug out one at a time & put the tool in and what should be a good reading for each on a 5.7 1995 Caprice?

What plugs, wires and coil do you suggest?

In another forum they said the E3 plugs were junk and to go with NGK & the MSD wires were good?

Thanks for the reply you give good advice.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stick with NGK plugs and MSD wires.

I'm not sure about the opti-spark, but ss.slp.ls1 is the knowledgeable guy on this

I am in the same boat as you are, except I decided not to work on my higher mileage Trans Am and am possibly going to sell it for an ls1 C5 or 2002 LS1 T/A WS6
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by impalass20
So the Optispark you’re talking about from eBay comes with a cap & rotor & Optispark or are they separate?

With a compression test do you take a spark plug out one at a time & put the tool in and what should be a good reading for each on a 5.7 1995 Caprice?

What plugs, wires and coil do you suggest?

In another forum they said the E3 plugs were junk and to go with NGK & the MSD wires were good?

Thanks for the reply you give good advice.
It comes as a complete unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...mZ400002397198

Make sure you remove the cap and thread lock the rotor screws for insurance.

For the compression test, remove all spark plugs and keep the TB blades wide open. You want the compression of each cylinder to be consistent. I have read that no cylinder should be 70% less than the rest, and not should be under 100psi. Check on those specs though.

Use NGK TR55's as stated earlier. MSD 8.5mm wires are good. OEM coil is more than sufficient.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Don't forget the fuel filter.... everyone forgets the fuel filter LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

22s and hp? lol
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
22s and hp? lol
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Stick with NGK plugs and MSD wires.

I'm not sure about the opti-spark, but ss.slp.ls1 is the knowledgeable guy on this

I am in the same boat as you are, except I decided not to work on my higher mileage Trans Am and am possibly going to sell it for an ls1 C5 or 2002 LS1 T/A WS6
+1 on the MSD wires. I've got a friend on here that can get them cheaper for you. And like "ss.slp" said, thepartsladi for a opti unit. Best pricing around.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Default To ss.slp.ls1

When would I step up to the NGK TR6 & are they more for when I have Heads & a Cam?

So far I bought the Raiss Cold Air intake that comes out the front with the mirror plate that also is cut out so its is flush with my ram air hood plus once I know every thing is running right I'm going to by a MAF, Headers, Full Exhaust and Gears right away.

What do suggest for a MAF, Headers and Full Exhaust? I know the Impala is a little different from the Camaro with the Headers & Exhaust.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

When would I step up to the NGK TR6 & are they more for when I have Heads & a Cam?

So far I bought the Raiss Cold Air intake that comes out the front with the mirror plate that also is cut out so its is flush with my ram air hood plus once I know every thing is running right I'm going to by a MAF, Headers, Full Exhaust and Gears right away.

What do suggest for a MAF, Headers and Full Exhaust? I know the Impala is a little different from the Camaro with the Headers & Exhaust.
TR6's are a colder plug to be used with power adders such as boost or nitrous. For your needs, stick to the TR55's.

Why do you think you need a MAF?...You don't. Your stock one will work fine and there is no gain to be had by getting an aftermarket one.

You said you had a CAI, good, that's mod 1. Mod 2 is headers and exhaust, so you are on the right track. Look for some long tube headers made for a bbody. Don't know if Pacesetter makes them, but you can look into it.

Mod 3 (&4) would be 4.10 gears (3.73 gears and 3000+ stall if you have an auto).
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Why do you think you need a MAF?...You don't. Your stock one will work fine and there is no gain to be had by getting an aftermarket one.
Because most peoples B Body mods I read usually has them changing to a F Body MAF and I don't know why.

What do you think of the MSD Blaster Coils I know my car has 2 coils and was thinking of getting them over AC delco?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because most peoples B Body mods I read usually has them changing to a F Body MAF and I don't know why.

What do you think of the MSD Blaster Coils I know my car has 2 coils and was thinking of getting them over AC delco?
They should be identical, you don't need a new one. You have 1 coil, not two, and the OEM coil should be fine for your needs.

Quick Reply: What parts should I use for tune up & maintenance on possibly high mile engine?