LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hitting a wall at 101-102

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hitting a wall at 101-102

hey guys i am posting this up for a friend..my friend has a obdI lt1 impala SS. We just got done rebuilding the top end this week. When we took it out it would hit 101-102 and hit a wall..exactly like hitting the limiter. We checked the trans fluid since it felt like the transmission was trying to shift and getting rejected..fluid was good..so we tried wot and half throttle and the same thing happens..even when its in overdrive. Besides that it runs great. So what is the deal ? his limiter is in the 15X range ..we both think it might be a computer problem ..which sucks because i could easily find someone to take a look if it was obdII like my trans am...any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shady milkman
hey guys i am posting this up for a friend..my friend has a obdI lt1 impala SS. We just got done rebuilding the top end this week. When we took it out it would hit 101-102 and hit a wall..exactly like hitting the limiter. We checked the trans fluid since it felt like the transmission was trying to shift and getting rejected..fluid was good..so we tried wot and half throttle and the same thing happens..even when its in overdrive. Besides that it runs great. So what is the deal ? his limiter is in the 15X range ..we both think it might be a computer problem ..which sucks because i could easily find someone to take a look if it was obdII like my trans am...any advice would be greatly appreciated
I guess you are going to have to find a OBDI tuner to look into the problem, if it is computer related.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first thing I thought when I read the title was that you hit a wall (like a guardrail) doing 101mph lol
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you???

The mph limiter on a stock Impala SS is indeed 154mph, BUT there are rpm limiters independant of that. What else is done to the car? Not that it matters but is it 94 or 95? You gave us very little to work with.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Teching In

i believe it is a 95. The only thing done to the car is a CAI. We tried part throttle..as light as throttle as possible and wot and it did the same thing...this has never happened to him before...before this fiasco..he told me that his voltage gauge was acting funny...it was really low and at 90mph it dropped all the way down...but now that isnt happening ..i have a feeling there is a electrical gremlin in there
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Teching In

it does it in 4th and in 3rd ..so i am stumped
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I guess you are going to have to find a OBDI tuner to look into the problem, if it is computer related.
that will be a rare find in my neck of the woods