LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pump for High Performance Cams ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump for High Performance Cams ???

im confused between 'High Pressure OP' and 'High Volume OP', which one is preferred, im still using my stock oil pan, i remember i read somewhere that high volume OPs should only be used with a higher volume oil pan as oil may run out of the stock pan at high RPMs ! ,,i found this OP from GMPP

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

BTW its a GM847, do u guys think it will go well with my appllication ?

Last edited by monster81; 03-14-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is it that you're doing to your motor that is prompting you to replace the oil pump?

For a stockish application, the Melling Select 10554 pump is what I would recommend. It is a thicker, more robust casting than other pumps. For that little extra pressure, you can use the GM white pressure spring. This is common practice. Cam selection won't have much to do with oil pump choice.

High volume on a stock pan is not a good idea as yes, it can be sucked dry. If you're running a 6-quart+ with drilled oil gallies then yes, a high volume/high pressure pump is desirable.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
What is it that you're doing to your motor that is prompting you to replace the oil pump?

For a stockish application, the Melling Select 10554 pump is what I would recommend. It is a thicker, more robust casting than other pumps. For that little extra pressure, you can use the GM white pressure spring. This is common practice. Cam selection won't have much to do with oil pump choice.

High volume on a stock pan is not a good idea as yes, it can be sucked dry. If you're running a 6-quart+ with drilled oil gallies then yes, a high volume/high pressure pump is desirable.
Pretty much all that I was going to say.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

sorry i need to know where a good trouble code website
Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA

ok, so does this mean that i can still reuse my stock pump for my rebuild or should i buy a new pump as some recomend !

is this what u reffer to as the white spring ?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by monster81
im confused between 'High Pressure OP' and 'High Volume OP', which one is preferred, im still using my stock oil pan, i remember i read somewhere that high volume OPs should only be used with a higher volume oil pan as oil may run out of the stock pan at high RPMs ! ,,i found this OP from GMPP

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

BTW its a GM847, do u guys think it will go well with my appllication ?

You told us nothing but 847, so we know just about nothing about your application.

A HV oil pump will hit bypass sooner and is more prone to cavitation, a HP pump will hit bypass later actually using the oil it is moving to lube the engine.

That pump should be fine.

The stock pump if in good shape works just fine, sometimes the spring is a little weak from age and use but that is about the only "flaw" they have, people overthink this stuff more often than they actually try and understand any of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock sbc's and LT1's have excellent oiling systems. You shouldn't need a special pump unless you are running a race motor. My shortblock is 100% stock with a big cam. It has a stock replacement oil pump and new bearings. The car will hit 60lbs of pressure on startup and settle down to about 35 at idle, ro 25-30 at idle when it's hot. If I had a high pressure or a high volume pump with the way my short block is right now, i'm sure it would be seeing over 80-90 lbs of pressure which is way too much, and would actually lose some power.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

alright, thanks a lot for the info guys, i guess ill just get a new stock replacement pump