LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think another opti.... but just checkin

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think another opti.... but just checkin

Well last year i had a very similar problem so I am thinking its the same deal again, but I have a miss at WOT from like 3k to like 6k that is somewhat minor but enough to make it feel like its running badly.... the coil, plugs, wires (including coil wire), and i think ICM, were all replaced within a year ago.... no burnt wires or anything like that.... but i also replaced the opti with a jegs brand replacement with the msd cap and rotor.... they probably have 5k miles or so on them now and it ran great until the past month or so.... and it has started smelling like raw fuel really badly and i guess i am shooting small flames out of my exhaust at WOT, which probably can't be good lol... but does this sound like an opti problem to you guys before i go trying to replace it again, this time with something a little better quality?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Better qaulity is an original Delco or Delphi unit. Best deal going on them currently is from thepartsladi on ebay. STAY AWAY FROM OTHER EBAY VENDORS!!!!! Thepartsladi is highly reputable and sells Delphi, NIB opti's.

You can test the opti before replacing it via the testing procedures found on www.shbox.com. Bookmark that site dumdumdum.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i know i know lol... but at the time i didnt have the money to put out for one and didnt have the time to wait because it was at the shop because we couldnt figure out what the problem was after taking apart the distributor and it looked ok and never threw any codes so i just put an msd cap and rotor on it.... and then had to buy a new distributor because i guess it failed because of all the stuff we took out of it.... like coolant that soaked it and all kinds of goodies like that....
but yeah i tried looking for thepartsladi on ebay and i cant find any non vented optis from her..... so that could be a problem
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol scratch that last statement... i just found me an opti from her or him so i will def. have to be gettin one
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its all good, alot of folks have purchased from there with great feedback and results. It is a good price as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but this does sound like an opti problem though right?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

mine had an injector problem.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It can be any number of things really. I gave you the link to test the components which is always a great idea instead of spend and replace until you find what it was.

It could be the FPR. You can check that by pulling the vac line off of it and if there is gas in the vac line it is bad. It could also be the 02's or the temp sensor. Both of these are listed on www.shbox.com website for testing.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i forgot to add that about a month after i put that opti in i started getting a code every once in a while for something like low pulse something something... that turned out to be an opti code but i cant remember which number or whatever but it seemed to run ok then, but im guessing im just another victim to the dreaded opti again lol...ill try to find those troubleshooting checklists and make sure its not my FPR or anything else... but i feel like putting a dollar bet down that its my opti.... it ran so bad today at WOT just testing to see if it was a one time deal that it scared me to drive it... so she will sit for a little while
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k well today driving home the car just randomly died and wont turn back on... just sits and cranks but no fire... leads me to think almost positive its the opti.... is this a right assumption?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Sounds like it, but again as I said it could be a myriad of things. Verify fuel pressure at the schraeder valve if its good then ya got fuel, the test for spark. You should find your problem by then.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah.... fuel pressure was good... took the coil to auto zone to have them check it out and they hooked a voltmeter to it and said it was fine... still looked brand new cuz it was from last year... basically i think its the opti and ive already got one comin from thepartsladi.... thanks guys!