LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock Oil Cooler

is it really needed ? does it do anything to cool the engine oil ? id like to remove it to clean up some space under my car but if it helps cool the oil ill keep it. i plan on one day putting a new oil cooler in line but that wont be for some time. im tearing the car apart now and if anyone could help itd be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
is it really needed ? does it do anything to cool the engine oil ? id like to remove it to clean up some space under my car but if it helps cool the oil ill keep it. i plan on one day putting a new oil cooler in line but that wont be for some time. im tearing the car apart now and if anyone could help itd be greatly appreciated thanks!
It "cools" the engine oil with hot engine coolant...not the best method in regards to temperature. Also, there are two different kinds, one of which is a lot more prone to clogging then the other.

Switching to an oil-to-air cooler will lower temps more then the factory one will. I ditched mine completely and just run without one...it is not needed unless you road race or something.

In very cold climates it is beneficial since it actually heats the oil during cold starts so the topend gets oiled sooner, without having to wait as long for the thick cold oil to start circulating.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I removed mine because it wouldn't fit with Kooks headers. My oil pressure improved. A lot of people remove them. I have heard that the early design, whatever was on my '94, was better than later years. At some point I believe the oil cooler was discontinued by GM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the replys guys. my 94 Z is having surgery done to her and i just cant figure out why theyd cool it with engine coolant like that. ill probably just ditch it for now and install a proprietary cooler in the late spring
Old 03-22-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen lots of people pickup oil pressure from removing them because they clog so easily. Later models as mentioned above don't even have the coolers and run with little to no issues, they just recommend using synthetic oil.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

I deleted mine. The 93-94 came with it. You will be just fine removing it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by My95Z
I've seen lots of people pickup oil pressure from removing them because they clog so easily. Later models as mentioned above don't even have the coolers and run with little to no issues, they just recommend using synthetic oil.
Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
I deleted mine. The 93-94 came with it. You will be just fine removing it.
thanks for the quick responses guys! just one less thing i have to worry about having fail on me now