LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf?

Ok, so my car has never ran right since I bought it, rough idle, sometimes stuttering in the rpm's (usually lower) and it would never start after it rained or the humidity was high, so I was thinking cap right?

Well, got a check engine light on about a week ago and yesterday the car died and wouldnt restart.

Tried getting codes off of it right after the check engine light came on but didnt have any luck, maybe I will now? Lets Hope.

Weird thing is, it will crank and crank and crank BUT if you put your the gas pedel to the floor it will start to choke and has started in the past by doing this, it acts like its flooded.

Car has a new Walbro 255 w/ filter - Checked the FPR at that time and it looked fine, also did the plugs.

Anyone have any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think your OPTI is Dead!!!!!

Have you ever changed the OPTI?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

No I haven't, are these normal signs for an Opti going? My Waterpump is leaking...yeah, have a new one waiting to get installed.

Im going to try and scan it again tomorrow now that its dead, does the paperclip trick work?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NitrousJunkie
No I haven't, are these normal signs for an Opti going? My Waterpump is leaking...yeah, have a new one waiting to get installed.

Im going to try and scan it again tomorrow now that its dead, does the paperclip trick work?
dude youe opti is trashed..... hummmm,,,, i think i have a new one sitting in my tool box at work, maybe i can use it as a coupon towards a certain nitrous kit. whats your cars year?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Before you listen to anyone on here have a real mechanic check the car out. Most say opti and most are wrong. If the car was doing this before and you didn't have a check engine light it's more than likely not the opti. Check to see that you have proper fuel pressure. If you recently had the fuel pump replaced there is a possibility that the fuel strainer (sock like filter on bottom of pump) may not be installed properly or may have come loose. Try simple things before you spend $300 and up on a part you may not need. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would've thought the Opti before the cap. Still could be too much fuel like you felt it seemed like, do some checks and see what turns up. Though don't rule out spark as a cause and if you know anyone who can tell what a healthy spark looks like, have them come over and pull a wire off and hook it up to a grounded spare plug (gapped the same that you're running). I'd guess that the reason for cracking the throttle during start and having it affect it, may be the added air helped the weaker spark, that's just a shot in the dark though.

EDIT: Man, lots of posts while I was typing.

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Before you listen to anyone on here have a real mechanic check the car out. Most say opti and most are wrong. If the car was doing this before and you didn't have a check engine light it's more than likely not the opti. Check to see that you have proper fuel pressure. If you recently had the fuel pump replaced there is a possibility that the fuel strainer (sock like filter on bottom of pump) may not be installed properly or may have come loose. Try simple things before you spend $300 and up on a part you may not need. PM me if you have any other questions.
Most real mechanics, won't know enough/anything about the Opti to properly diagnose it. From what I read in another thread where a sponsor chimed in, it won't always throw a code and the only real way to check is with an oscilloscope. Are you mentioning the strainer because of crap being picked up and clogging the fuel filter, or because w/o it the pump will magically stop providing fuel? I think PMing isn't quite the best possible course of action right now. (Don't mean to come across like a smart ***)

OP: Paperclip won't do the trick unless you have a 93.

Last edited by Formula350; 03-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
I would've thought the Opti before the cap. Still could be too much fuel like you felt it seemed like, do some checks and see what turns up. Though don't rule out spark as a cause and if you know anyone who can tell what a healthy spark looks like, have them come over and pull a wire off and hook it up to a grounded spare plug (gapped the same that you're running). I'd guess that the reason for cracking the throttle during start and having it affect it, may be the added air helped the weaker spark, that's just a shot in the dark though.
Very good point. Always check spark and fuel first no matter what. This could also be an ignition coil on it's way out too.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I shouldn't rule out fuel yet just because it has a new pump and filter, I did have a shop do it but you never know.

I'll check the FP again and the FPR and make sure it's not leaking.
Pull a plug or two and see what kind of spark I'm getting (God there a bitch!)

It had a rough idle before I had the pump installed, it was kind of acting like the MAF wasn't reading right, IDK I'm honestly pretty new to EFI and am certainly no self proclaimed mechanic, still learning.

Isn't there a way to check the Opti or the coil? Checking Voltage on a wire or something? I read about it a while back.

And to BLING, I tell you what - You come to my house and make my car run like a champ and I'll hand the Nitrous Kit over to you

Just want to get this thing running good before the track opens!

If anyone has any idea's please chime in, I really appreciate it.

Thanks guy's.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

If your waterpump is leaking theres a good chance your opti got wet and now it's jacked up. . they are very sensitive to that. .
Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little diagnosis wouldn't hurt.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601565
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
If your waterpump is leaking theres a good chance your opti got wet and now it's jacked up. . they are very sensitive to that. .
Never jump to conclusions. I have cleaned my engine bay several times spraying water directly at the opti and never had one go from it. If it will hold up to that I'm sure the leaky water pump theory isn't true. The only time this will be the cause is if you have a broken cap to let the water inside.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

If your water pump is leaking then there's like a 90% chance it's your OPTI. That thing gets wet and you're SOL.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

When my waterpump went on my LT1...soon followed my opti. +1 for checking opti. GM did a GREAT job on opti placement.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Never jump to conclusions. I have cleaned my engine bay several times spraying water directly at the opti and never had one go from it. If it will hold up to that I'm sure the leaky water pump theory isn't true. The only time this will be the cause is if you have a broken cap to let the water inside.
You also have a vented one though, which makes a huge difference :\ My friend has a 94 w/o vented and after he washed his engine, it ran like ***! So now he sprays the Opti with some WD40 before doing any washing of the engine.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Scanned It - Fans Came On But No Codes Flashed....Not even the normal 12 flash I heard its suppose to do to say the computer it working...

Alrighty! I guess I'll just start tearing into it....and probably sell it once I get it back running good.....or not but we'll see.

Just getting a little tired of this, love the car but this is ridiculous.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say it again, as I've said in the past. Your car doesn't have to pop a opti related code if your opti has **** out!! Just a heads up. On the plus side if you are doing the waterpump at least you will already be mostly done to pull the opti too.

I think the 93's might be paper clip trickable, I know for sure the 94+'s can't be read out that way. What year is your car? Don't give up and sell it!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I think the 93's might be paper clip trickable, I know for sure the 94+'s can't be read out that way. What year is your car? Don't give up and sell it!
93s can, I mentioned I knew that much but wasn't 100% sure on 94s. So there we go heh Another retarded 93 Only factoid.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

It's a 94, I'm sure since I'll already have the PS and water pump off I'll do the opti, just need to find one.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the opti since the Wp was leaking but could be a bad or dirty MAF or o2s
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Teching In

bet its the opti or mass air just got done fixing the exact same problem on mine ended up being a combination of both the opti and the mass air the opti went out wich made it stop firing up then replaced the opti started it and then it still didnt run so good un plugged the mass air and it has ran prefect everysince.