LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

For The Peep's With Lots Of Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up For The Peep's With Lots Of Oil Leaks

Ok my car is leaking from the front and back seal, Oil pan gasket, and timing chain cover. Well i am going to replace all seals and gaskets but im going to wait until i get my H/C package ready. Well while i was at AZ this weekend i seen a new product called Bar's leaks, it is a quart size bottle looks like a quart of oil. It says it is mostly to seal the rear seal. I changed my oil and put it in.I drove the car for a few hours came home and parked it, normally after driving it hard for a while i would get a nice size puddle but when i checked there was not a drop of oil under the car. THIS STUFF REALLY WORKS!!!, now i hope it is not bad for the motor seeing that it is a whole quart. If anyone else has used this please chime in. Good or bad let me know
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if it would work on my Jeep...it pukes oil like no other!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

It was $10 for the bottle but seems to be worth it
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of Bar's stuff works pretty good, but like their radiator stop leak that is the pellets (that looks like plastic, and could very well be), you want to be cautious of. It can get lodged in the water pump impeller and then hinder cooling performance :\ Might stop the leak, but then you'll have to change your pump lol
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would always replace the seals before I ever used a product like that. The seals are leaking because they are bad, and if a product can seal those leaks, who knows what else it could seal.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I would always replace the seals before I ever used a product like that. The seals are leaking because they are bad, and if a product can seal those leaks, who knows what else it could seal.
Oil galleries... WHO NEEDS 'EM?!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Oil galleries... WHO NEEDS 'EM?!

I wonder how that stuff doesn't clog the oil filter.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

LOL quit scaring me
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by djjab57
LOL quit scaring me
Yours was a pure liquid right? No chunks or large sized bits? If it was a liquid you should be fine, though if it contains any sort of wax-like substance, there may be need for slight concern. Word around the campfire was that's why Penzoil wasn't so great, was because it had some wax in it, who knows how accurate that is though.

I'd think a good oil flush with Sea Foam would do the trick to rid the motor of it if you planned to do the gaskets later on. I'm sure you'll be fine
Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

it was a liquid looked just like oil
Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Teching In

It most likely contains a chemical that swells rubber seals and gaskets.
While it may work for a short term fix I would still change the seal as soon as possible.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yours was a pure liquid right? No chunks or large sized bits? If it was a liquid you should be fine, though if it contains any sort of wax-like substance, there may be need for slight concern. Word around the campfire was that's why Penzoil wasn't so great, was because it had some wax in it, who knows how accurate that is though.

I'd think a good oil flush with Sea Foam would do the trick to rid the motor of it if you planned to do the gaskets later on. I'm sure you'll be fine
If he has serious oil leaks that have already been bandaided then seafoam may be the last oil change that block ever gets. Same as when you do a tranny flush on a high mileage transmission that has never been serviced, and it mysteriously dies a week later.

The additive may actually be keeping his crappy leaking gaskets together for now, and after a seafoam they may all fall apart and start leaking worst then before at once.

If it stopped the oil leak, run it for now until you can change the gaskets. Do not make it a common practice though - those additives are called "Engine Honey" for a reason and you don't want to end up with an engine that relies on them.

They are not ment to be permanant solutions, just temporary band-aids for the problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a few leaks and I would be better off replacing the seals than adding something like that to my oil. I think those products are meant to be more of a band aid(sp!?) rather than a permanent fix. I use to run the pellet crap in my cooling system when I cracked my cylinder heads...and it worked until I got on it a little then temps shot threw the roof !

Quick Reply: For The Peep's With Lots Of Oil Leaks