LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock AMP bypass? 96ws6

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock AMP bypass? 96ws6

I posted this in the electronics section but no one really reads that... was wondering if anyone here knows about it. There is a stock amp in the RH sail panel (rear seats) and it is screwing up my 3XL-60C speakers. That amp apparently puts a lot of bass to the speakers, but I wired in my own crossovers to eliminate bass, so now hardly anything is coming out of the speakers. (woofer + tweeter each side). I need to know if i can bypass this amp somehow or am I going to have to rewire them? Thanks! I also found amp bypass wires but they are for 1997-2002 cars...

other thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-speakers.html

10 speaker system BTW

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-24-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I posted this in the electronics section but no one really reads that... was wondering if anyone here knows about it. There is a stock amp in the RH sail panel (rear seats) and it is screwing up my 3XL-60C speakers. That amp apparently puts a lot of bass to the speakers, but I wired in my own crossovers to eliminate bass, so now hardly anything is coming out of the speakers. (woofer + tweeter each side). I need to know if i can bypass this amp somehow or am I going to have to rewire them? Thanks! I also found amp bypass wires but they are for 1997-2002 cars...

other thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-speakers.html
If you have an aftermarket head unit, I would run all new wires from that to each speaker and bypass the amp completely.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking about that, but I realllllly dont want to do it uggggggg

I have all the other speakers in, i dont want to go back into the door panels haha

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-24-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

well then just run new wires to the speakers that you do not what to run through the factory amp. it isnt that hard. once you run those from your new headunit to the new speakers your problem should be solved.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or pull off the panel on the Pass Side back seat and:

Less destructive method- Make jumper wires from the Radio wires to the Speaker wires, which would bypass the amp.

More destructive method- cut the wires and take those from the Radio and splice them with those that run to the speakers.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

yeah I am going to do the less destructive method. haha. but isn't there only 4 wires out of the headunit? front and rear speakers? So I would be splicing into the rear speaker wire?

Sorry im a NOOB when it comes to speakers hahah
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd personally have a local shop do my stereo in my Trans Am, but thats just me.

My Eclipse was easy as hell to wire up but my Trans Am I think will be a bit more difficult.

Going to try Diamond HEX S500S 5-1/4" components up front and Diamond HEXS600 6-1/2" components in back powered by a Kicker ZX650.4 4-channel amp. Can't wait to get it in. Yes, I'm sorry, I'm still an audio guy
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah I am going to do the less destructive method. haha. but isn't there only 4 wires out of the headunit? front and rear speakers? So I would be splicing into the rear speaker wire?

Sorry im a NOOB when it comes to speakers hahah
Well, scratch the 3 pages I just typed out LOL Better idea!

Take rear channel from deck AT the AMP, run a wire off each (1 +, 1 - per side), unpin the wires for the speakers at the AMP and connect them to those new wires. What you're doing then is allowing the AMP to still process the sound for the other 8 speakers, but are now letting the deck power those 2 rear speakers exclusively.

Hows that sound? Best of both worlds I think, since you don't have to go through the hassle of figuring it all out.

I'd be happy to draw you a pic if that'll help explain it a bit more. Otherwise if you still want to go through with totally bypassing the AMP, email me (addy is in my profile) and I'll try and find time tomorrow to get the AMP wiring schematic tomorrow from ALLDATA.

Usually I'd say go for the newer plug, but I think they are different from when I was looking up the schematics for my newer AMP swap in my 93 (wwway different than mine, had to buy a new plug for the AMP). I thought 96-97 were the same but 98+ were different from them. Don't think I checked 94-95 though :\
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yay, I remembered on my own hah
Attached Thumbnails Stock AMP bypass? 96ws6-radio1.png   Stock AMP bypass? 96ws6-radio2.png  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

haha my dad has a repair manual for the 93 f bodies. So i guess that book is of no use to me

I dont feel the need to bypass the AMP unless i am going to amp them myself

Thanks for the info man. Ive got the car on jack stands im going to have the wheels repainted and straightened Ill let ya know when i finish the speakers
Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha my dad has a repair manual for the 93 f bodies. So i guess that book is of no use to me

I dont feel the need to bypass the AMP unless i am going to amp them myself

Thanks for the info man. Ive got the car on jack stands im going to have the wheels repainted and straightened Ill let ya know when i finish the speakers
Like I said, just bypass the sail panel speakers and let the AMP power the other 8 still.

Sounds technically like yours is as mine, 12 speaker now. I put some 2-ways in place of the rear mids

Quick Reply: Stock AMP bypass? 96ws6