LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which build to go with?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which build to go with?

Should I?

(Keep in mind that both builds will eventually have a FLT Stage 5 auto and a Strange Dana S60 w/ 3.73's... whatever breaks first

(Also getting LT's before either option of a build)

Buy STS turbo and run that at 7psi with a tune until my shortblock and tranny breaks and then have it built up to a 355 longblock built for boost with new bottom, top, and rotating assembly work by SpeedInc

There is something about it that I have always wanted to try the rear-mount turbo works. I hear that all you have to redo is their oil check valve thingy or something like that.

Or

Be patient and wait for the need for a new motor/tranny/rear and Go all motor with a fully built 355 longblock build and a 200 shot of spray by Larry @ SpeedInc?

Background: My baby has higher mileage (VVV SIG) and has those current modifications. Will also have some Nitto DR's on here within the next few weeks. I was originally considering selling the Trans Am for a newer car (LS2 GTO, C5 - but then I wouldn't be able to modify them much), but my dad simply won't let me do it because he knows I will regret it. He used to have a 70 Mustang V8 of some sort and regrets selling it to this day.

(He is supplying me with a nice sum of money after graduation meant to go for a new car, but I plan on driving my Eclipse until it dies and investing a nice sum of the money before my DD dies for the new DD)

I originally planned on just putting LT's, tune, pulley, etc. and full suspension on the car and just waiting for the need for a new engine/tranny

Both options sound awesome to me, but I've always wanted to try something new that nobody really has (STS turbo in Iowa????) There are several h/c/i f-bodies in Iowa, but I wanna try something new

I am very open for constructive criticism, so let me know brothers
Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all motor built for spray! !!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I've been considering just putting the LE2 top end kit on my car after LT's, some more bolt-on's, and full suspension and just waiting for my bottom-end to go out and then put the LE2's on the new one, but was just wondering your guys opinions.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ran many setups, all motor, 355/h/c/i LOTS of nitrous, 355 custom rear mount turbo, 355 front mount turbo, etc.

That being said, all were fun, but I'm working on another lt1 build and it will be a stock crank, forged rods/pistons, LE heads/cam, and nitrous. Filling bottles does suck, BUT buying race gas sucks also.

Lastly, don't do the rear mount setup, I hated it the most.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AChotrod
all motor built for spray! !!!!
+2..build that thing for nitrous. Throw the turbo idea out the window. Get that LE2 package coming!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
+2..build that thing for nitrous. Throw the turbo idea out the window. Get that LE2 package coming!
+3...I think you will be much happier.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Yeah I was a world happier today even with just 3.73's and the PCM tuned for the 160* t-stat. Larry @ SpeedInc tuned it to work with my Yank SS 3600 stall that I don't have in yet and holy crap it PULLS compared to the 3.23's.. imagine the YANKED effect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which build to go with?