LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Left Bank Running Lean and More

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Left Bank Running Lean and More

Have a 94 with no EGR or AIR systems, Car started throwing the code for, Left Bank Running Lean. Replaced the O2 sensor a year ago when I bought the car, decided to warranty the sensor out. About the same time replaced the plugs and wires.

Had a friend hook it up to a Solus unit, MAP readings are normal about 30kpa, the right side o2 sensor is cycling normally, maybe a little rich.

Kinda stumped on this one. It stumbles at idle and off acceleration and only then once you get going does it ride normally. It seems when the Check Engine light comes on it rides better.

I'm at a loss on this one.

Also when the tranny shifts it clunks sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear end. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the tranny mount. Crawled under the car too look at the tranny mount bushing it still looks good, it was replaced when I bought the car. The only suspect bushing I saw was the Track arm bushing, is it supposed to be a 2 piece? I couldn't get a good look at the rear control arm bushings but from what I saw all the bushings in the rear end are old and showing cracks.

If anyone could help me I'd appreceate it. Have an appointment with a shop soon. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stfuad
Have a 94 with no EGR or AIR systems, Car started throwing the code for, Left Bank Running Lean. Replaced the O2 sensor a year ago when I bought the car, decided to warranty the sensor out. About the same time replaced the plugs and wires.

Had a friend hook it up to a Solus unit, MAP readings are normal about 30kpa, the right side o2 sensor is cycling normally, maybe a little rich.

Kinda stumped on this one. It stumbles at idle and off acceleration and only then once you get going does it ride normally. It seems when the Check Engine light comes on it rides better.

I'm at a loss on this one.

Also when the tranny shifts it clunks sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear end. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the tranny mount. Crawled under the car too look at the tranny mount bushing it still looks good, it was replaced when I bought the car. The only suspect bushing I saw was the Track arm bushing, is it supposed to be a 2 piece? I couldn't get a good look at the rear control arm bushings but from what I saw all the bushings in the rear end are old and showing cracks.

If anyone could help me I'd appreceate it. Have an appointment with a shop soon. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.
So you had your friend hook it up to a scanner now or when you bought the car?
It sounds like it could be the o2 sensor again. Find out if it is oscillating within the full spec range. It might be running better with the SES light on because it's in limp mode, don't know if that means it's in open loop or not though. A quick test would be to disconnect both o2 sensors and drive it around, see if your symptoms disappear. If so, then replace both sensors.

Also when my tranny mount went bad, it looked fine, I even tried to pry up on the tranny and it looked ok, but when I finally dropped the cross member, it fell into two pieces. I'd remove your tranny cross member and inspect the mount thoroughly.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

The scanner was hooked up recently, the left bank o2 sensor would oscillate in the 10-18mV(?) range throughout the rpm range. I'll check the tranny mount again.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Shouldn't it cycle between .100 and .900?

The only time I received a lean condition code was when I had a very tiny exhaust leak right where the #5 header exists the head. I couldn't hear it and took a while to even feel it, it was that small. Brazing it closed cured that.

Our systems are REALLY sensitive to both vacuum and exhaust leaks up stream of the 02s.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

suppose i could pull off the exhaust manifold to check the gaskets. Problem really confounds me, I've replaced the o2 sensor twice and done a spray test to see if I had an intake leak. Though MAP sensor readings pretty much eliminated the intake leaking, just sprayed it to make sure. Once I get a new ac adapter for my laptop I might just switch to speed density... or a carb.

I'll probably pull the plugs and wires off and take a look at them when I get a chance. I'm not reading a misfire and the engine doesn't seem like it is but who knows.... I dont.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea should be 100mV-900mV so even 100-180 is too low unless it's reading correctly, then you'd be running quite lean. I think that lean might actually be in the "catastrophic failure" area heh

If a trans mount is totally shot, it usually slams the transmission against the tunnel, which you'd hear next to you. Could be holding on enough to prevent that.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

The thing about the clunk is when it first started it sounded like it was coming from the rear, lately it sounds like it's coming from the front. Oh well off to work maybe I'll have time to fix it this weekend.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be sounding like it's from the rear because of the Torque Arm.

Quick Reply: LT1 Left Bank Running Lean and More