LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

We suspected it, but this solidifies it... Edel's Air Gap sucks!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default We suspected it, but this solidifies it... Edel's Air Gap sucks!

I apologize if this had been posted, but I only came across it coincidentally during a Google Image search heh

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ttle_body.html

I'm pretty shocked at the huge loss in plenum volume compared to stock! I think the one guy who did a home-made Air Gap on his factory intake would've been a better route for Edel to take >_> I can only think that it doesn't make more TQ due to the longer runner, because of that lack of plenum volume. I mean c'mon, 1000cc is a big *** difference! No date on the article though, so it could be new or it could be old, and if it's the latter then Edel could've tweaked the design. I only say that since I remember a one of the guys here got the Air Gap and Lloyd had said it was the same except slightly longer runners. I'd have thought Lloyd would've been able to just visually notice that big of CC difference.

Anyways, just more of a reason to stay clear of that Edel LT4 "Performance" Package.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Not much of a test. Anyone that sees a 48 mm TB as a restriction on a near stock motor is selling parts. Any company will be hard pressed to improve on the stock intake on mild combinations.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Yea it was posted before by James Montigny (sp.?). Cant hurt to post it up again so those browsing that aren't aware of how crappy the Edelbrocks are wont spend $450-550 and see no gain over the stocker.

The article was in the mag within the last year so I doubt they made any corrections or even know how bad it is. lol
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Not much of a test. Anyone that sees a 48 mm TB as a restriction on a near stock motor is selling parts. Any company will be hard pressed to improve on the stock intake on mild combinations.
How isn't it much of a test? They tested the Air Gap w/ the stocker as well, which made less power than the stock intake. But yes, it would be a bit more interesting on a motor that makes over 400rwhp (500 flywheel hp if it's an Automatic).
Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula350
How isn't it much of a test?
For one, the intake was never intended for use on bone stock motors. The port miss-match alone negates the entire test. Add the BS about the need for a 52 mm TB and I would say that the Edelbrock was doomed from the get-go.

I'm not saying that the Edelbrock intake is a great product. I'm just saying that the test was bogus.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIZMO
For one, the intake was never intended for use on bone stock motors. The port miss-match alone negates the entire test. Add the BS about the need for a 52 mm TB and I would say that the Edelbrock was doomed from the get-go.

I'm not saying that the Edelbrock intake is a great product. I'm just saying that the test was bogus.
Well true, I didn't think about the port misalignment. They did say they are going to re-test with Edel heads (yes, funny in it's own right). It also wasn't a bone stock motor though, not quite a 'mild' motor, but still not stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: We suspected it, but this solidifies it... Edel's Air Gap sucks!