LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rocker Arms

So my new rockers **** the bed for whatever reason. but there garbage

as you can see. im rebuilding my engine so nothing like that happens again. i had purchased off a member of this forum PRW full rocker arms which i must say are a very nice quality piece. unfortunately i didnt know they were SA and i have a NSA set up that id like to keep that way im going to be running LE's 223/230 cam at around .600 lift should i stick with these rockers or should i get something else thats non self aligning ?

ive been looking at these

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

but if anyone else has any suggestions or advice id appreciate it alot
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's really nothing wrong with self-aligning rockers. I would feel comfortable running NSAs on that cam no problem.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You were running a set up (guidelplates) for NSA with those other rockers that were SA? Not supposed to do that.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

that can be a problem
Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why cant you do that?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shbox
You were running a set up (guidelplates) for NSA with those other rockers that were SA? Not supposed to do that.
+1..

I would suggest running some NSA rockers with new guideplates and either some Trickflow or Smith Bro's pushrods.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

X3 isn't this self explanitory?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by multmigs
X3 isn't this self explanitory?
Not everyone knows what to use and what not to use when running SA or NSA rockers. Several people have made the mistake of running SA with guideplates or with "high" lift camshafts when they shouldn't have. It's a easy mistake to make if you don't do much research or know anyone that's up to par with doing the correct thing. In Sox defense he is doing just the opposite, he's looking for guidance as to what to do so he goes the correct way.

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 03-28-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

i know that imnot supposed to run SA rocker with guidepaltes. perhaps my post was a bit confusing. the rockers i had just purchased i DID NOT KNOW that they were SA. thus now my dilema. do i run these new rockers without the guideplates? or do i sell them and get these

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=1&N=700+150+

sorry if there was a mix up guys im all over the place these days
Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
i didnt know they were SA
He never knew they was SA, just as his first post entitled.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

SA or NSA will determined by how high you want to rev it

personally I'm a big fan of using SA whenever possible but if your setup requires to turn the rpm neccesitating a NSA rocker then by all means go that route
Old 03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by myltwon
SA or NSA will determined by how high you want to rev it

personally I'm a big fan of using SA whenever possible but if your setup requires to turn the rpm neccesitating a NSA rocker then by all means go that route
i agree but i dont like buying things twice. (like im trying to avoid now) my cam will redline around 6100-6200 right now but int he future if i want to put a bigger cam id like to have a valvetrain thats all set up for it. ya know ?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
i agree but i dont like buying things twice. (like im trying to avoid now) my cam will redline around 6100-6200 right now but int he future if i want to put a bigger cam id like to have a valvetrain thats all set up for it. ya know ?
Sox, i'm sure i told you they were SA, & they were listed that way in my add, anyways, i'm sure you'll be fine shifting @ only 61-6200, if you have ANY doubt, call Lloyd Elliott, if your planning on a larger cam in the future, i would just sell those SA rockers, then get some NSA with guideplates. Before you go through summit/jegs, check out the place were those came from there in Iowa, he has some great prices.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Sox, i'm sure i told you they were SA, & they were listed that way in my add, anyways, i'm sure you'll be fine shifting @ only 61-6200, if you have ANY doubt, call Lloyd Elliott, if your planning on a larger cam in the future, i would just sell those SA rockers, then get some NSA with guideplates. Before you go through summit/jegs, check out the place were those came from there in Iowa, he has some great prices.
i cant remember for the life of me if they were or werent SA. but thanks alot for the great deal and fast shipping! i was going to send you a PM thanking you but i havent had the time. ive been in abit of a panic. i pulled my engine today and ill be posting a thread with plenty of pics in it maybe tomorrow. the rockers are quality pieces i have no doubt about that. but im starting to be able to justify spending the extra cash for something like the comp cam gold's. but i have some time before it gets to that level so im just trying to relax and work things out. if anything maybe ill run these for awhile and then use them in my dads LT1 if he ever decides to rebuild it. ill figure something out. thanks alot to all of you guys

Quick Reply: Rocker Arms