LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spun a bearing...

Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun a bearing...

Well, big dawgs, it seems that Nikki's age finally caught her.

Caught her with the pedal down coming out of turn 9, to be exact. I apexed and was standing on it when I noticed something wasn't right. She was really wheezing hard, there was smoke and a knock coming from under the hood, and oil pressure was nil.

Now, I'm not rightly certain what's wrong with the motor yet, but I fear that the internal mods that I was planning on doing after everything, after the suspension and brakes and rearend and tranny and etc...

I might as well do first, now.

So I know there are more experienced guys out there who can give me some things to think on as far as what pistons, rods, crank, etc I would want to go with.

I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

How are racing it (what type of racing) ?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Summit Point Friday At The Track, on the Summit Point circuit.

I guess I should probably mention it's a 95 Formula with a Cold Air Intake and CSR Electric Water Pump as the most major of modifications so far. Original motor, 129k on it, I guess I was out there doing something right if it gave out!

Trying not to let it get me down, but man I wanted to build this car in the right order...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

I assume you want to keep this a N/A motor with maybe heads and cam in the future?

Since you're racing I would put the main emphasis on oil control and you want to keep/ make a light weight rotating assembly. A large capacity oil pan spec'd for circuit racing would be a wise investment for you IMO. Honestly if you keep your power goals below 450 hp the stock rotating assembly should be ok as long as you address the weak points.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks about the motor, you really need to talk to an engine builder who has experience in building set ups for road racing as well as other road racers and see whats worked with them.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My95Z
I assume you want to keep this a N/A motor with maybe heads and cam in the future?

Since you're racing I would put the main emphasis on oil control and you want to keep/ make a light weight rotating assembly. A large capacity oil pan spec'd for circuit racing would be a wise investment for you IMO. Honestly if you keep your power goals below 450 hp the stock rotating assembly should be ok as long as you address the weak points.

I hear you! Tell me I'm dreaming, but I wanted to have a nine second car that could still turn with those damn Mazdas. Possibly 700hp at max.

I wanted to blow it, and I had just the Super in mind. But it would be Naturally Aspirated most of the time. You're right, I do want heads and cams and headers in the future, but you make an excellent point. What kinds of dry sump and wet sump systems are out there for our cars?

Last edited by Henshao; 03-28-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I've only seen wet sumps for these, but I'm sure their are guys running dry sumps out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spun a bearing...