LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine Rebuild (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Rebuild (pics)

My first plans were to do an LE cam (223/230 @ 112) and a new clutch. on St Pattys day my throwout bearing broke causing me to prematurely start my project. i pulled the transmission down to find a

horribly oil covered bellhousing and uneven flywheel. i knew i had an oil leak from the intake but this was really bad. i had also known that i had a bad lifter and when i started tearing down the engine i

had found that and then some.

all of my rockers were heat scored implying lack of oil. either from the oil pump or the pivot ball.

and my bad lifter

after seeing how bad those were i decided to pull the engine and rebuild it. here are afew pics of the progress so far

bad throwout bearing

pile of parts

back of water pump

i was inconvenienced by not having room at my shop to drop my K member down and removing the engine that way. so i was forced to pull it from the top. and without the tranny attached it was real easy. i had

made an attachment to where the engine hoist can lift it up from

removing engine mount bolts

2 sets of helping hands are real nice and useful lol thanks joe and mark

a better picture of the bracket i made. im glad i work at a machine shop haha it worked like a charm

Theres my problem. i have engine gremlins! the hairs real too

i hope to bring the engine to my local engine shop this week and help him tear down the engine and build it up. i plan on reusing the crank and rods. im not sure if i want to bore it out .030 to make it a 355. i dont plan on running nitrous or anything like that so i wont need anything forged. its going to be a great feeling after its all done up. that way i dont have to worry about blowing out anything if i went with a bigger cam in the future ill be updating this when i get more pics of the progress. thanks to reading
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

looks good man. You have the dirtiest LT1 i have ever seen though haha. Clean the engine bay while the motor is out too and keep us updated!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MTBSully
looks good man. You have the dirtiest LT1 i have ever seen though haha. Clean the engine bay while the motor is out too and keep us updated!
haha i know! its a ******* dirty mess! the block oil pan and valve covers will be getting a nice coat of hugger orange and that engine bay is going to get a real good cleaning trust me!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use the duplicolor paint, get the one with the higher temp rating, the other one goes on like water, but the higher temp rating stuff really works.

Looks like fun though, brings back memories lol. Can't wait to see some pics of the inside of the engine!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

LOL! That is dirty! Getter running! If its out and you can afford it why not go to a 355 with forged pistons?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by My95Z
If you use the duplicolor paint, get the one with the higher temp rating, the other one goes on like water, but the higher temp rating stuff really works.

Looks like fun though, brings back memories lol. Can't wait to see some pics of the inside of the engine!
yeah the high heat ceramic stuff works well and thats what ill be using lol. im going to tear it down as much as i can tomorrow but well see. i work from 8-5 and so does the machine shop ill be giving it too id like to tear it down myself but my boss is being a bitch

Originally Posted by AChotrod
LOL! That is dirty! Getter running! If its out and you can afford it why not go to a 355 with forged pistons?
i would love to but this rocker ordeal is pissing me off. plus for a good set of forged pistons im looking at quite abit of money. if anything ill be going with hyper pistons from mahle. everyone says there the best budget piston. ill order it all when my engine gets teared down
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

got some more taken apart today from the engine. i had some time after work so i decided to check everything out before i hand it over to the machine shop. things like take off the crank hub, opti, cam heads. also so i could check everything out for myself. and from what i found with the cylinder walls and pistons everything looks to be in good shape. my timing chain had some play. alot of play but everything looked to be in real good shape which was surprising. however, my camshaft was a different story....

here guys does this look right ?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Look forward to seeing the end results! Good luck with the build bro
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Look forward to seeing the end results! Good luck with the build bro
thanks! i cant wait to actually drive a car with a good clutch and a properly running engine! its going to be... weird haha im actually more excited tho to see an orange LT1 in my engine bay! ill keep the pics updating as much as possible!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What did you do to that engine?! That is seriously the dirtiest LT1 I've ever seen.

Looks like an awesome project. Nothing better than having a 6 speed behind all that extra power.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:03 AM
Launching!

looking good
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you think its fun to tear down the motor...wait til you are pre assembling and final assembling it with all new shiny parts. Hypereutectic pistons, reconditioned rods, and upgraded rod bolts will suit you fine if you are not using any power adders.
There is nothing like having a freshly rebuilt motor, leak free, strong oil pressue, and no problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Spartan7
What did you do to that engine?! That is seriously the dirtiest LT1 I've ever seen.

Looks like an awesome project. Nothing better than having a 6 speed behind all that extra power.
haha what did i do ? i saved its life by changing the oil haha the other owner didnt do anything. its actually alot cleaner then what it looked like before i started to do anything to it. and yes! if it didnt have a T56 i wouldnt of bought it

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you think its fun to tear down the motor...wait til you are pre assembling and final assembling it with all new shiny parts. Hypereutectic pistons, reconditioned rods, and upgraded rod bolts will suit you fine if you are not using any power adders.
There is nothing like having a freshly rebuilt motor, leak free, strong oil pressue, and no problems.
god i cant wait! i was keeping up with my friends 335I and S4 before the tear down.. i cant wait to see what happens after shes all broken in with that cam! im having a hard time with pistons tho. i dont want to spend to much but id also like a pretty stout shortblock thatll support all i throw at it and then some.

LM97Z suggested these

http://www.competitionproducts.com/p...number=L2304FS

ill see how everything looks when the engine gets pulled apart tho. thanks for the enthusiasm with my project guys!

Last edited by SoxXpupPeT; 03-31-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
god i cant wait! i was keeping up with my friends 335I and S4 before the tear down.. i cant wait to see what happens after shes all broken in with that cam! im having a hard time with pistons tho. i dont want to spend to much but id also like a pretty stout shortblock thatll support all i throw at it and then some.

LM97Z suggested these

http://www.competitionproducts.com/p...number=L2304FS

ill see how everything looks when the engine gets pulled apart tho. thanks for the enthusiasm with my project guys!
Just keep in mind that during the rebuild, you might as well have it bored and honed .030" over. So you will need pistons for a 4.030" bore.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Who do you have doing the machine work. I live in yonkers aswell and talked to you at a car show i have the purple 95 z with the green cowl hood. If you take it to jimmys machine shop tell him Ricky sent you he has did alot of motors for me and my friends if you need a hand just let me know . I am going to be doing a 383 build in about a month or so. Good luck with the build.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pics look good keep us updated. its gonna be a beast once its done.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

i am so jealous! looks awesome man. orange block paint though...? :\ i dunno about that. lol. Red might look hot in there - you've already got the red stripes. orange would look out of place.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just keep in mind that during the rebuild, you might as well have it bored and honed .030" over. So you will need pistons for a 4.030" bore.
i was thinking that. especially since id like to build a 383 in the future. i dont have much more money to go through especially with the new rockers and machine work blah blah blah. its a wait and see game for me right now. my bores look spotless tho. might just get it cleaned up

Originally Posted by cam2z
Who do you have doing the machine work. I live in yonkers aswell and talked to you at a car show i have the purple 95 z with the green cowl hood. If you take it to jimmys machine shop tell him Ricky sent you he has did alot of motors for me and my friends if you need a hand just let me know . I am going to be doing a 383 build in about a month or so. Good luck with the build.
yeah man i remember you! you drove by my shop today on nepperhan. yeah jimmys going to be doing the work for me. hes good friends with my boss and will be taking good care of me. i appreciate the offer man thanks. if you know anyone with a stock 10 bolt i can **** with thatd be cool lol

Originally Posted by sepno77
pics look good keep us updated. its gonna be a beast once its done.
thanks i always thought pics were the best way to describe something lol

Originally Posted by nik1703
i am so jealous! looks awesome man. orange block paint though...? :\ i dunno about that. lol. Red might look hot in there - you've already got the red stripes. orange would look out of place.
nahh definitely chevy orange. my stripes were orange too but those are long gone they were so Hideous! i want to make it look like an old school small block. i think ill do a good job but ill see. wish me luck !
Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

im glad i decided to pull the engine. all of my cam bearings look like this

Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

so you pulled it from the top? was it easy?

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild (pics)