LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Caprice Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Caprice Swap?

So Ive been looking at this lt1 out of 96 Caprice. And I've been thinking of doing a swap since its got way less millage then my lt1. What I want to know is what difference are there are between the lt1 in my 95 Firebird and this 96 lt1 from the Caprice. Will the 96 lt1 caprice bolt right up or does require some modding. Also the Firebird has the 4L60-E.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by J-13gtp
So Ive been looking at this lt1 out of 96 Caprice. And I've been thinking of doing a swap since its got way less millage then my lt1. What I want to know is what difference are there are between the lt1 in my 95 Firebird and this 96 lt1 from the Caprice. Will the 96 lt1 caprice bolt right up or does require some modding. Also the Firebird has the 4L60-E.
A LT1 out of a B-body (Impala, Caprice, Roadmaster) will have iron heads and different accessory routing, that's pretty much it. Cam specs are slightly different as well. The block and intake are identical. *Make sure that you see a "327" cast into the side of the block, if it doesn't, it's a 4.3 liter engine, not a 5.7.
The the difference between the heads is that the iron heads will flow slightly more, but will heat soak a little more. Basically, performance is comparable on a stock motor. I don't know if you will run into problems trying to run the B-body accessories or not, but if you swap over all of the F-body accessories, you'll have no issues.

EDIT: Also one thing to note, the '96 engine will have a crankshaft position sensor in the lower passenger side of the timing cover, just leave it there and don't worry about hooking anything up to it. I also think that there is a knock sensor on both sides of the block, just hook up the one on the passenger side normally and ignore the one on the drivers side. Or you can install the drain plug from the F-body block.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

swap the damper and hub as well as the accessories. Knock sensor too, Caprice uses 2 and I believe the f-body only one BUT the part number changed 95 to 96.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
swap the damper and hub as well as the accessories. Knock sensor too, Caprice uses 2 and I believe the f-body only one BUT the part number changed 95 to 96.
Yep, the new knock sensors operate on a different resistance, so you will def need to swap your older one in.

Quick Reply: LT1 Caprice Swap?