LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

msd digital 6 igniton box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default msd digital 6 igniton box?

how do they work and do you have to have a msd disb. to use it. i came across a good buy in 1 and i dont know anything about them. please post any comments or anything yall know about them
Old 04-03-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
how do they work and do you have to have a msd disb. to use it. i came across a good buy in 1 and i dont know anything about them. please post any comments or anything yall know about them
Supposedly gives a stronger spark. The 6AL also has a limiter function built into it, but that's what a good tune is for. It's a waste of money for most people and adds one more component to troubleshoot for ignition problems. I'd spend your money elsewhere.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

can you adjust timing with it. i spray my car from time to time and would like to be able to move the timing back and forth
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't the msd limiter function oull spark whereas the stock limiter pulls fuel? For the guys spraying, I would rather cut spark than pull fuel.. Its a good unit imo. You just have to understand its an engine management device

I'm going to use the 6AL-2 because of the 2 step rev limit / launch control built in. And yes you can program the digital box and change the timing/spark curve.

I will probably run a secomnf timing box with just a **** though. Simpler and cheaper.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the mallory ignition box and I just took mine off cause I believe it has caused misfiring/arcing. My car ran much better without it during back to back runs. Other than the built in rev limiter and the ability to hook up a shift light..it was a waste of time!
8mm wires and tr55's should be all u need.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
can you adjust timing with it. i spray my car from time to time and would like to be able to move the timing back and forth
You get a window switch for that, a little add-on box. Otherwise get the expensive Digital 6 Plus, which does an *** load of things.

Oh, and no it doesn't have to be paired with anything else MSD. They make a GM harness that plugs right into our existing setup Most parts stores have it. I don't have the P# off hand, but it's easy to spot. Looks like a coil wire extension.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Which window switch pulls timing...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not about noticing power gain its about what it does, pull timing w/ add-on controller, stronger spark at upper rpm where opti fails to do so, give you rev limit control, and tach out put. You can run just the box you don't need the msd disb.

When the MSD6AL hits rev limit it shuts down spark to every other cylinder instead of shut fuel.

Last edited by LT1; 04-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Row
9 Second Club

I run that same box and love it's well worth the money in my book.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

What about just a 2-step? Is there such a thing? Or do I have to buy the box,etc? (sorry to steal the thread.)
Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1
Its not about noticing power gain its about what it does, pull timing w/ add-on controller, stronger spark at upper rpm where opti fails to do so, give you rev limit control, and tach out put. You can run just the box you don't need the msd disb.

When the MSD6AL hits rev limit it shuts down spark to every other cylinder instead of shut fuel.
If the Opti is somehow to blame in that, how does putting an MSD box help? It STILL is putting the spark through the Opti Example (not the greatest but work with me lol): You have a garden hose with a nozzle on the end and you're spraying water. Where the Coil would be whatever is pumping the water, and the nozzle would be the Opti (hose is the coil wire if you want lol). Now you want more water to come out so you hook up a bigger pump, except you won't GET more water since the nozzle throughput is already maxed from the original pump. As I said, bad example heh Point is, if the Opti is the bottleneck as you're suggesting, I'm not sure how the MSD will fix it.

I'm not implying that you're wrong, just I'm not understanding how the MSD would help in this instance.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Umm yeah, it's still putting the spark through the opti.

But it's a stronger spark...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gregrob
Umm yeah, it's still putting the spark through the opti.

But it's a stronger spark...
More amps huh?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Nah MSD ignition boxes don't increase the spark but instead create multiple sparks per cylinder fire. Hence M.ultiple S.park D.ischarge, I believe only performance coils increase the strength of the spark
Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
If the Opti is somehow to blame in that, how does putting an MSD box help? It STILL is putting the spark through the Opti Example (not the greatest but work with me lol): You have a garden hose with a nozzle on the end and you're spraying water. Where the Coil would be whatever is pumping the water, and the nozzle would be the Opti (hose is the coil wire if you want lol). Now you want more water to come out so you hook up a bigger pump, except you won't GET more water since the nozzle throughput is already maxed from the original pump. As I said, bad example heh Point is, if the Opti is the bottleneck as you're suggesting, I'm not sure how the MSD will fix it.

I'm not implying that you're wrong, just I'm not understanding how the MSD would help in this instance.
MSD amplifie's the spark out put from the opti.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1
MSD amplifie's the spark out put from the opti.
The Opti doesn't make the spark, it distributes it (hence distributor). The MSD amplifies the COIL'S spark, as well as what Chevyguy said by incorporating multiple sparks. I believe one right away at the normal time, and then one right after ignition to insure a complete burn. In rapid succession of course, not much of a delay can happen for it to work out with any benefit.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never noticed much from my digital 6 plus when I had it. I couldn't tell any difference when i took it off after some ignition woes.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Im going to be hooking up the 6AL-2 Box for the advantages of the box, but mostly for the 2 step feature for at the line. I can't wait to see how the car launches w/ it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
The Opti doesn't make the spark, it distributes it (hence distributor). The MSD amplifies the COIL'S spark, as well as what Chevyguy said by incorporating multiple sparks. I believe one right away at the normal time, and then one right after ignition to insure a complete burn. In rapid succession of course, not much of a delay can happen for it to work out with any benefit.
You hit the nail on it. I was trying to get that across. I was also trying to say that it does this " better at higher rpm" over not having the box. Multi spark = more than 1 spark = stronger spark to cylinder

Last edited by LT1; 04-06-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

just bought one of these bad boys off of here for my nitrous setup

MSD adjustable timing controler part# 8680

Control Your Ignition Curve!

MSD Timing Controls are designed so engines with locked out timing or crank triggers can take advantage of an ignition curve. The weights and springs inside your existing distributor are removed and the mechanical advance is locked out so the timing is controlled entirely by the MSD Timing Control. By controlling the ignition electronically, the timing curves can be set faster, more accurately, and with more adjustablility than mechanical advances. The Timing Controls provide reliable operation throughout the RPM range.

MSD Adjustable Timing Control

The MSD Adjustable Timing Control puts you in control of your ignition timing - from the drivers's seat! A dash mounted control **** allows you to adjust the ignition timing to compensate for changes in altitude, low octane gas, or heavy loads. For cars driven every day but raced occasionally on the weekends, this control is perfect. Increased fuel mileage and performance are just some of the benefits as the ignition timing can be advanced or retarded to prevent engine detonation. The control **** mounts to the dash board for easy and accurate timing adjustments up to 15°. The Control can be used on 4, 6 and 8-cylinder engines.

Quick Reply: msd digital 6 igniton box?