LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Formula still running really rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Formula still running really rich

alright well im in the shop right now typing on his computer... and so far we've figured out that the car is running ridiculously rich. we pulled the drivers side plugs off the car and they were completely black, so we just replaced those plugs for now and when we put the new ones in it didn't help at all. the car sputters at idle and sometimes just dies out of nowhere. the left o2 sensor goes anywhere from 0.024 to 0.9xx and the right o2 didn't ever drop lower than the 0.024 but it seemed to run just a little higher than the left o2... we unplugged the left o2 thinking that it would be the problem and it still ran terribly. tried unplugging the MAF and still ran terribly. checked fuel pressure and it was fine. we have to have the garage door open to even run the car and it still fills the whole garage up with a gas smell. so far the only codes we have gotten were from trying to run the car with the MAF unplugged and the o2 sensor unplugged, but nothing else is coming up.

one weird thing was that the EGR was always at 0 and never moved, even while giving it gas, so we weren't sure how it really operated or when it should open or start working....

i replaced the distributor with a delphi one from thepartsladi on ebay because the car was backfiring badly and one day it just randomly died on me going down the road and wouldnt restart till i came back about 2 hours later, and before that it would take forever to crank to start and basically all the symptoms of the opti failing.... and the rotor screws were backed out of the one that was in it so i figured that was the whole problem... but it wasn't the case

we've traced and retraced the plug wires to make sure they were gonig to the right spots and they were
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by squeals99
alright well im in the shop right now typing on his computer... and so far we've figured out that the car is running ridiculously rich. we pulled the drivers side plugs off the car and they were completely black, so we just replaced those plugs for now and when we put the new ones in it didn't help at all. the car sputters at idle and sometimes just dies out of nowhere. the left o2 sensor goes anywhere from 0.024 to 0.9xx and the right o2 didn't ever drop lower than the 0.024 but it seemed to run just a little higher than the left o2... we unplugged the left o2 thinking that it would be the problem and it still ran terribly. tried unplugging the MAF and still ran terribly. checked fuel pressure and it was fine. we have to have the garage door open to even run the car and it still fills the whole garage up with a gas smell. so far the only codes we have gotten were from trying to run the car with the MAF unplugged and the o2 sensor unplugged, but nothing else is coming up.

one weird thing was that the EGR was always at 0 and never moved, even while giving it gas, so we weren't sure how it really operated or when it should open or start working....

i replaced the distributor with a delphi one from thepartsladi on ebay because the car was backfiring badly and one day it just randomly died on me going down the road and wouldnt restart till i came back about 2 hours later, and before that it would take forever to crank to start and basically all the symptoms of the opti failing.... and the rotor screws were backed out of the one that was in it so i figured that was the whole problem... but it wasn't the case

we've traced and retraced the plug wires to make sure they were gonig to the right spots and they were
*Going out on a limb*...Leaky injectors?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how would you test for that?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

yes sir leaky injector you can take out the injector but still plugged and with power off see if it leaks then power it up and put injector in a 20 oz bottle and let it spray then key off it shouldnt leak for more than 30 seconds
Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

just hulk smash it.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can pull up the rail with injectors still attached. Turn the key to the on position but not all the way. If you see the injectors leak out fuel, they are bad. I have a full set of stockers in my garage fyi.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k you think that they would all be leaking or what? like would only a few leaky injectors really make a car run that rich?

man i wish i could hulk smash the whole damn car right now lol

this just doesnt make sense... could i have just gotten a faulty distributor or something?

Last edited by squeals99; 04-03-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .

k so today i went and took a recording or whatever you want to call it off of freescan.... so i don't know if this will be much help to me but i have one of it just idling (or at least trying to) and then one of a couple revs just to see if anything looked out of the ordinary.... so if anyone reads these and sees anything messed up let me know

also, it said i had thrown code number 16, which said it was "low res" which i thought was an opti code, but i wouldnt think my new opti would already be messed up... so it may just be an old stored code that just came up.... but the check engine light wasnt ever on...
actually, is there any way to post an excel file on here? i cant figure out how to do it and i searched and it gave me a fast and furious thread lol
Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone know if thepartsladi on ebay is bad to deal with because i def. got a faulty distributor... finally my car threw a code today for the opti, so we are going to take it off and hopefully i can get an exchange from them.... don't really care to get my money back but i would def. like a new delphi distributor.... so i really hope they aren't a hassle to deal with
Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyone know if thepartsladi on ebay is bad to deal with because i def. got a faulty distributor... finally my car threw a code today for the opti, so we are going to take it off and hopefully i can get an exchange from them.... don't really care to get my money back but i would def. like a new delphi distributor.... so i really hope they aren't a hassle to deal with
I would imagine that they are great to deal with. Call them up and tell them about what troubles you are happing and what code you are getting. Hopefully they exchange it for you without issue.

I would also check to see that your opti wire harness is not dirty or damaged. I think that could cause your code as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i was looking for that whole new plug and everything but i couldn't find it... i thought it was on ws6store but i dunno... you have any idea where to get one from?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i was looking for that whole new plug and everything but i couldn't find it... i thought it was on ws6store but i dunno... you have any idea where to get one from?
I'll look for the part number.

EDIT:
This is what I get from
http://shbox.com/1/Parts.htm

1993-1994 optispark (non-vented)
electrical harness 12106559 $55.19

But that part number doesn't come up anywhere.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmmm.... yeah on gmpartsidrect it says its like $300 lol.... you think i could just clean it with some electrical cleaner and it would be alright?

also, i finally found the number of who to call for thepartsladi and called them.... seemed like really nice people and said they were sending me a package tomorrow to send the opti back to them in and would send me another as soon as they got that one back... so im happy with the deal

Last edited by squeals99; 04-06-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

What were the ECT sensor readings from the data log? If they are on the low side, that could make it run rich. Just another idea...

And EFI connection has optispark harnesses for $30 if you do need one.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ralls
What were the ECT sensor readings from the data log? If they are on the low side, that could make it run rich. Just another idea...

And EFI connection has optispark harnesses for $30 if you do need one.
Hmmm, nice website...

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._pigtails.aspx
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

good web page, shbox gave it to me last week and i ordered the connectors for the coil
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol is it bad if i need like every stinkin one of these? haha
yeah ill def. pick that up along with maybe a couple others.... im tryin to think which ones it is that i need.... anyone have a listing of where sensors are? i think i need the MAP and TPS... isnt the MAP on top of the intake like passengers side on the front and TPS basically below it?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol is it bad if i need like every stinkin one of these? haha
yeah ill def. pick that up along with maybe a couple others.... im tryin to think which ones it is that i need.... anyone have a listing of where sensors are? i think i need the MAP and TPS... isnt the MAP on top of the intake like passengers side on the front and TPS basically below it?
MAP
http://shbox.com/1/map.jpg

TPS
http://shbox.com/1/tps.jpg
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm.... yeah i do need the MAP but i dont think the TPS.... do you know off hand which one is below the MAP on that side?
or is the TPS actually it?

scratch that... just figured out what i was lookin for... i think that TPS pic on shbox should say left hand side of the intake and not right cuz you can see the TPS in the MAP pic...
but yeah i just ordered $65 worth of connectors so i should be good to go now lol

Last edited by squeals99; 04-06-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Formula still running really rich