LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pan Gasket or Rear Main?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pan Gasket or Rear Main?

Ok guys/gals I have a question for ya? I have been having issues with my T/A leaking oil from the rear of the motor and I can't tell if it's the rear main seal or the pan gasket at the rear. I replaced the pan gasket about a year ago and the car only get's about 100 miles a year so it's pratically brand new. When I took the pan off (last time) the rear main looked pretty dry, but even now I am seeing oil dripping off the inspection plate on my T56. I will get about 4-5 drops on the ground after I park her and can't figure out if it's the pan or the rear main. The oil seems to look like it's coming from the pan seal as droplets are on the rear pan bolts and front of the inspection plate, but is there a way to tell if it's the main or the pan gasket?

FWIW - I am 100% positive it is not the intake or oil press sending until (no oil back there). Also, I don't have the one piece rear any more as my builder switched to the two piece design back in 99' (what he prefered) with an adaptor - see below pic:

Any ways to definitively check and rule one or the other out - oil in bell housing, etc????

Thanks and I appreciate your advise.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like your rms to me. Just remember that oil is going to move down and back, which makes it hard to pinpoint sometimes. Are you also sure that it's not valve covers and timing cover?
How many miles are on your rms? If it looked dry, you might as well replace it. Just sucks to have to drop the tranny.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Sounds like your rms to me. Just remember that oil is going to move down and back, which makes it hard to pinpoint sometimes. Are you also sure that it's not valve covers and timing cover?
How many miles are on your rms? If it looked dry, you might as well replace it. Just sucks to have to drop the tranny.
Since I have a two piece I won't have to drop the tranny, but I will have to remove the pan again. I just did the timing cover again this weekend as the WP seal was leaking and I am sure that I finally got it right this time, went ahead and replaced the OPTI and Crank seal up there too. With a pan gasket leaking would you see oil inside the bellhousing as well?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any advise?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump i would like to know too i just sealed up my intake and its still leakin so i think its one of these...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of oil pan gasket did you use. Did you use good RTV on the corners of the pan?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The blue felpro one piece with the steel core. As to the RTV that would be a no as there is mixed feelings and felpro says install dry. Seems to not be leaking from the corners but just the rear lip or the RMS.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DAVE00
The blue felpro one piece with the steel core. As to the RTV that would be a no as there is mixed feelings and felpro says install dry. Seems to not be leaking from the corners but just the rear lip or the RMS.
their mixed feelings are wrong. Every single person who installs an oil pan gasket dry always ends up with leaks. I rtv the four corners and the front and rear areas, and leak free
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
their mixed feelings are wrong. Every single person who installs an oil pan gasket dry always ends up with leaks. I rtv the four corners and the front and rear areas, and leak free
I think I found my problem. Turns out that I have the Canton 2 Piece Rear Main Crank adapter (oh btw I have a canton 6qt pan) on there and in their instructions they say to use RTV on the adapter (even with a one peice seal) or it will leak - Right where my problem is. Gonna bite the bullett and pull the pan this weekend and go ahead and do the RMS as well (since it's right there). Do you recc to put RTV on all four corners on both sides of the gasket - pan and block?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

dave I recommend just putting it on the block side. Four corners then along the timing cover and rear main seal area. Use Ultra Copper or "THe Right Stuff" Allow some good time to cure also.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
dave I recommend just putting it on the block side. Four corners then along the timing cover and rear main seal area. Use Ultra Copper or "THe Right Stuff" Allow some good time to cure also.
Ok, got a new RMS (2 piece for me Felpro #2912) today and a tube of "The Right Stuff", as I spoke to Canton about the seal they recc'd it for their adapter I am using. Gonna tear it apart this weekend and hope it solves the issues. Thanks for your help.

Figured I might as well do the RMS as well since I can do my 2 piece with the pan dropped and it will take all of about 5 mins.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, awesome news!!!!!! Fixed the leak this weekend. Pulled the pan and did the rear main (pretty easy on a 2 piece - once you get the pan off). Used some "The Right Stuff" to seal up the 4 corners of the pan and both side of the rear and front lips of the pan. Let her run for 30 mins on the lift and then drove it for a few miles and let it run for 30 more mins and so far ZERO leaks!!!! I am so glad this is over (for now) as I have been chasing this rear oil leak for years. Also parked her with some cardboard underneath for a couple of days and checked yesterday to find ZERO drips or runs. Thank GOD and thanks for all your help guys.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
OK, awesome news!!!!!! Fixed the leak this weekend. Pulled the pan and did the rear main (pretty easy on a 2 piece - once you get the pan off). Used some "The Right Stuff" to seal up the 4 corners of the pan and both side of the rear and front lips of the pan. Let her run for 30 mins on the lift and then drove it for a few miles and let it run for 30 more mins and so far ZERO leaks!!!! I am so glad this is over (for now) as I have been chasing this rear oil leak for years. Also parked her with some cardboard underneath for a couple of days and checked yesterday to find ZERO drips or runs. Thank GOD and thanks for all your help guys.

Glad to hear it.

Quick Reply: Pan Gasket or Rear Main?