LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2pc LT1 timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2pc LT1 timing cover

Thinking out loud, but the SBC's and LS1's both have 2 piece timing chain covers so they can do cam swaps more easily. Us LT1 guys just have the factory cover, but I am thinking it would not be too hard to make a 2 piece design out of the factory piece. Most of us weld up the top hole for the EWP and the bottom hole could be left alone since I contains the balancer. The middle hole is for the opti (some of us don't even use). My thinking would be the cover would come apart between the middle and bottom hole. This way when doing cam swaps only the opti and the top part of the cover would have to be removed. Wouldn't have to mess with the balancer (balancer puller) and the timing chain cover/oil pan gasket.

My car is almost finished along with my highly modded stock LTx intake, might try to build one when these things are done.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see why it couldn't be done. I'd imagine your biggest challenge would be getting the two halves to seal correctly.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd imagine your biggest challenge would be getting the two halves to seal correctly.
I was initially thinking that too (still may be), but I would keep the outside portion stock (where it bolts to the block) and just plasma cut the top portion and build something where it could be bolted in.

Again, when I get some more time I may run with this project.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id be VERY intersested in one...needs to be split right above the crank pullie hole...that way no dropping the pan
Old 04-12-2009, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be kinda hard to pull the opti w/o removing the balancer? The only benefit I see is that you won't have to drop the pan to change out the cam, but I would still buy one.

Last edited by explicit.muscle; 04-12-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have to remove the dampner but not the hub. My idea is to have something like an adapter ring that bolts to the block with the gasket and a second set of bolt holes for the cover itself to bolt down with an o-ring to the adapter piece. Between the top and bottom piece there should be a lip/flange on the bottom of the top piece that slides down inside the top bottom piece.

If trying to modify a stock piece I think you will have problems with the gasket unless you cut the stock gasket into two pieces before you install.

Quick Reply: 2pc LT1 timing cover