LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil dip-stick breaking off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil dip-stick breaking off?

So after I bought my '93 Fireawk last Fall, I went to check the oil and discovered that the end of the dip-stick was missing, right at about the full-level mark. So I ordered a new one from the dealer and installed it with no problems. Went to check my oil tonight and it looks as if something literally has ripped the end of the new dip-stick off at the full-level mark again!

Any ideas why this would be happening?

It's been running great and hasn't shown any signs of any internal problem, but I'm wondering if mods that the previous owner had done are conflicting? It's got a cam, headers, stall converter, springs, ported, polished, etc. but I don't think there was anything done in the bottom of the engine.

I was told after noticing the first broken dip-stick that the end is probably sitting in the bottom of the pan and that it will not affect anything, so I guess now there are two dip-stick ends down there?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're shearing off dipsticks, chances are the rotating assembly has been altered (stroker crank is likely). I'm having clearance issues with the dipstick with my 383, so I ended up snipping the tube and dipstick.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

At first I had no idea what you are talking about, but now I think I understand. Ramair prolly has it right b/c the closest thing to the dipstick is the crank. If it is shearing off you might wanna take the pan off and see where the clearance issue is especially b/c you don't want that metal in the oil.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Okay, thanks for the help guys. Makes sense, but I couldn't tell you if the crank had been messed with or not.

These are the engine mods that I know of for certain:

224/230 cam with 1.6 rockers, hardened pushrods, etc.
LE1 ported heads/intake
52 mm throttle body
34 lb injectors

I think I'm about the 5th owner and the above mods were done by the guy I bought it from, so that's not to say that another owner could've messed with the crank.

As for possible metal in the oil... I have no idea when it would've happened with these two breaks, but both dip-sticks looked pretty cleanly snapped upon discovery and at this point it's probably way past too late if any metal went into the oil... how serious is this? Would the oil filter have been any use here?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The oil filter should filter out the metal, but I wouldn't completely trust it if something big like that got into it.

Quick Reply: Oil dip-stick breaking off?