LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 inquiry

Just lookin for information on 383 set-up's.

Background info.
Im lookin to go with a nitrous 383 set up. Have a cc306 and all supporting valve train mods. Grabbing a set of 195cc or 210cc heads. M6 swap. and chassis upgrades (panhard, LCA's, TA, Subframes). I plan on spraying a 150-200 shot. So here are the questions.

First question is, what would you guys recommend for a rotating assembly?
I dont have a set budget but I do wanna keep the costs to a minimum. Eagle has some nice Rotating assemblys but they are really expensive especially when you get into the fully forged kits with H rods. Scat also has some nice kits that arent as much for the fully forged kits. I know the general rule of thumb, "You get what you paid for", but will the Scat RA's hold up as well as Eagele RA's?

Second question. How well can a Rotating assembly with forged rods, piston, and cast crank hold up?
I know generally the HP rating for those kits are 500 hp, but if I go with, lets say ARP L-19 rod bolts, will the integrity of the rotating assembly increase. I.E. Will it be able to handle up to 650 hp with a rod bolt upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by deviladvocate
Just lookin for information on 383 set-up's.

Background info.
Im lookin to go with a nitrous 383 set up. Have a cc306 and all supporting valve train mods. Grabbing a set of 195cc or 210cc heads. M6 swap. and chassis upgrades (panhard, LCA's, TA, Subframes). I plan on spraying a 150-200 shot. So here are the questions.

I dont have a set budget but I do wanna keep the costs to a minimum. Eagle has some nice Rotating assemblys but they are really expensive especially when you get into the fully forged kits with H rods. Scat also has some nice kits that arent as much for the fully forged kits. I know the general rule of thumb, "You get what you paid for", but will the Scat RA's hold up as well as Eagele RA's?

Second question. How well can a Rotating assembly with forged rods, piston, and cast crank hold up?
I know generally the HP rating for those kits are 500 hp, but if I go with, lets say ARP L-19 rod bolts, will the integrity of the rotating assembly increase. I.E. Will it be able to handle up to 650 hp with a rod bolt upgrade?

Thanks in advance
You can spray a 150-200 shot on a well built 355 w/ forged rods, forged pistons, and stock crank. That will keep your costs down and allow you to buy the best parts to keep your engine bullet proof. You don't need a stroker to make power. But if you got the money...
Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree, if your lookin to go budget stick with the stock crank. Far better piece than most cast aftermarket stuf!!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Hmm that honestly didnt cross my mind. Very good thought. How much engine work would still need to be done if any, bore, hone, mag?

My other question still stands whats the quality difference in Eagle and Scat if any?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm that honestly didnt cross my mind. Very good thought. How much engine work would still need to be done if any, bore, hone, mag?

My other question still stands whats the quality difference in Eagle and Scat if any?
To build a quality 355, you will need to bore and hone .030" over, align hone the mains, cut/polish the crank, square deck, magnflux, heat tank. Pick up a nice set of Wiseco, JE, etc. forged aluminum 4.030" pistons. Some forged h-beam rods. Some hellfire rings. You'll be set to spray the hell out of it.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
To build a quality 355, you will need to bore and hone .030" over, align hone the mains, cut/polish the crank, square deck, magnflux, heat tank. Pick up a nice set of Wiseco, JE, etc. forged aluminum 4.030" pistons. Some forged h-beam rods. Some hellfire rings. You'll be set to spray the hell out of it.
Now thats what i like to hear!

Now flow means everything. I was thinking of pick up some heads as well. I was looking at Trickflow GenX 195cc's because the price just seems right, but the flow numbers are a little depressing. So at the same time I was also looking at AFR 210cc comp heads, but the price was rediculously higher.

Do you think it would do justice to get the bare 195cc heads and use a porting tool to port the hell outa them and install oversized valves? Or would I be better off gettin the AFR 210's and save the hassle.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now thats what i like to hear!

Now flow means everything. I was thinking of pick up some heads as well. I was looking at Trickflow GenX 195cc's because the price just seems right, but the flow numbers are a little depressing. So at the same time I was also looking at AFR 210cc comp heads, but the price was rediculously higher.

Do you think it would do justice to get the bare 195cc heads and use a porting tool to port the hell outa them and install oversized valves? Or would I be better off gettin the AFR 210's and save the hassle.
I'd say call up Advanced Induction. They offer fully ported TrickFlow heads w/ valves, springs, etc. The whole nine yards. And they can grind you a custom cam to match, not to mention port your intake.

From their website (http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProducts.html):

100% CNC'd Trick Flow 215cc LT1 Competition Package:
For those looking for a package that includes a brand new set of castings populated with top shelf components, we offer our 100% CNC'd 215cc TFS Competition package. We start off with a TFS 195cc LT1 bare casting that is emissions legal in all 50 states, and CNC apply our proven port, valve seat, and chamber designs. Additionally, this offering is automatically upgraded to the premium Pacalloy 1220 "Beehive" valve spring. This port design is intended to feed extremely air-hungry applications with a focus on area under the curve, wet flow, and combustion efficiency. With supporting modifications this head is capable of producing approximately 525-560 SAE corrected horsepower with a street driveable hydraulic roller camshaft, and in excess of 600hp with more aggressive valvetrain packages and appropriate supporting modifications.

# 100% CNC Ported Intake & Exhaust runners
# 100% CNC Unshrouded & Re-contoured Chambers
# 100% CNC Competition F1/Cup Quality Valvejob (TIR < .00012")
# New Bronze Valve Guides Honed to Ideal Clearances per application
# Additional CNC'd Pushrod Clearancing (required for 3/8" pushrods or 1.6+ rockers!)
# PCD milled to ensure flatness, surface finish & achieve desired chamber volume (58-62cc)

# Genuine Pacalloy 1220 "Beehive" Springs
# Ai Custom Machined & Hardened CrMoly Locators
# Genuine CompCams Machined & Hardened 10deg Retainers and Locks
# Ferrea 6000 Series Super-Flo Valves 2.080" Int/1.600" Exh w/ Steel Jacketed Viton Seals

Note - Exhaust numbers are obtained without the use of a "pipe" or extension of any kind.

Recommended Useage: 355cid - 396cid shortblocks with piston relief/dish volumes of 5cc (Naturally Aspirated 11.0-12.5:1 compression) to 31cc (Forced Induction, 8.0-9.5:1 compression). For 440-475rwhp SAE pair this head with one of our ported intakes, a 58mm or MonoBlade throttle body and appropriate exhaust system.

$2495 - Complete, Assembled, & Ready to Bolt-On
Old 04-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Teching In

damn for that price i might as well go with the AFR 227 comp eliminator heads. thats still a bit costly. i was thinking of trying and staying in the 1800 range for heads. i have to limit this because im putting most of the money into bottom end work. hence the no set budget on the rotating assembly.

let me ask you this. do you think i will produce better power and have better potential with the ai TFgenx's or with the AFR 227's?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I think you could have the stock castings reworked good enough to feed a 355! That would save some cost too.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea stock casting from LE or Ai should do the trick on a 355
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scat is a better quality part over the Eagle. Both are chinese, but Scat does the finish machining here in the USA.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I dont have a set budget but I do wanna keep the costs to a minimum. Eagle has some nice Rotating assemblys but they are really expensive especially when you get into the fully forged kits with H rods. Scat also has some nice kits that arent as much for the fully forged kits.
Yikes... Scat and Eagle are pretty much bottom of the barrell assemblies compared to the major brands. Either of those will work, however the quality is hit or miss. You may find that if you buy one you'll have to get extra machine work done like adding metal to the crank in order to balance out correctly which can then eat into whatever you thought you saved. There have been issues with Eagle like this as well as pilot bushings/bearings and crank hubs not fitting properly due to lack of proper specs on their crankshafts.
If you want a forged rotating assembly then I would recommend Callies Compstar components. Eagle rods have a tendency to have a taller bolt profile which can lead to unnecessary clearances and possible water jacket issues even w/ a 383 stroker. The Compstar assemblies are extremely comparable in price to Eagle or Scat, but their quality cannot be matched between the two. If you want a forged rotating assembly then be prepared to spend a little money. If that's not for you then perhaps do as suggested and stick with the stock crank and rods since they are very durable pieces, upgrade to ARP rod bolts and build a stout 355.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Just my personal taste i would like to get a full kit with rings bearing and everything already set rather than get a fully customized rotating assembly. Most likely not eagle knowing they have issues with clearancing and what not.

Scat seems to be my choice. What do you guys think of this kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I was thinking it over and i definatly want to go with a 383. With the 210cc heads and a 150 shot of juice, i should reach my goal of 550hp +/- depending on how good i get it tuned. i wanna run abbout 11.0 to 11.2 at the track.

Do you think this set up has a good chance to realistically hit my goals?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good topend(AI ported GM heads) and some spray should put you beyond that goal on a stock shortblock.

LOTS of people insist on building "performance" engines and fail miserably do to using cheap parts and labor and insisting on "upgrading" lots of good stock parts with aftermarket stuff that is no better and sometimes a step backwards. They often do so without saving any actual money too.

Instead of buying Scat and aftermarket heads you would be much further ahead to buy a Compstar Speedpack and an Advanced Induction ported GM heads and cam setup.
This will cost just a little more on the rotating assembly since the Scat is unbalanced and the Compstar is available balanced and the topend will be FAR better than any of the as cast aftermarket heads.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

shoot 200 shot on a stock motor will get you in the 11's

Quick Reply: 383 inquiry