LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Won't start when wet

Old 04-17-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Won't start when wet

Ok guys. The previous owner thought he had a bad opti bec it was cutting out at 4K and his gf drove through a puddle and it died and wouldn't start back.

FF to now and we found a bad wire coil to be arcing out and causing the miss at 4K and above. It runs great now with no miss at all.

Only issue is when the car gets wet it will quit running.

I was out in it yesterday and hit a slushy / wet puddle in the turn lane and a bunch splashed up under the car and it died.

Took a little bit but it started back.

Sat in parking lot of the restaurant for a while then started back up fine and drove in the snow back to my buddies house. (that was an experience lol)

Well we have had heavy wet snow here all since last night and I was going to start it up today to show a girl-friend of mine the car and maybe go for a ride since the streets are plowed, just wet, and it wouldn't start.

There is a fair amount of moisture under the hood right now from the snow so I'm sure that's the issue and it'll probably start out once it warms up and dries out.

Here's the deal, I noticed a clicking sound coming from the coil when it was cranking over. (had her crank it and I was under the hood)

I wonder if the coil wire we put on is not the perfect one and is still arcing out only if there is moisture present, or it's actually the coil itself. Would it behoove me to try a new coil? What do they cost?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the opti.. had same problem. i am 100% sure
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

So the clicking by the coil?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

probably hearing your relays in the box near your coil... im telling you man.. 100 percent.. get an opti.. if you want, new coils from a parts house are like 40, or you can get an msd for 50
Old 04-18-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a dynaspark, just needs installed but I want to be 100% that is the problem.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

i promise you man! i just got done with the exact same problem with the exact same symptoms... get yourself a set of good wires and a msd coil and take care of the opti, and youll be good to go and gain a few hp at the same time..get some NGK TR55 plugs while your there. have fun! lol. back plugs are a biatch
Old 04-18-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bump.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fixed it guys.

It was the coil. To be more specific the coil wire. Seems the one from AZ wasn't exactly the one it needed and the connection to the coil itself sucked. It was a straight barret inside a 90º boot and it was causing it to push itself off the coild and holding a big gap in the boot exposing the connector.

I pulled off the coil wire and the terminal was corroded badly with white powdery stuff.

Cleaned all that off and dried off the coil with a hair dryer, also crimped a 90º on the coil wire like it should have been, and used some good electrical tape to wrap around the boot and tighten it up so it would fit the coil tighter and seal better.

I'm going to see if GM has the correct coil wire tomorrow. Funny I have a set of Taylor spiro pro's in the back of the car but there's no damn coil wire included, I thought there would be...

Anyway thought you guys might like to know it's NOT the opti, at least for now.

The roads are still wet in some spots and melting snow is everywhere so theres definitely some moisture around.There was actually a puddle I couldn't avoid and went through and the car didn't miss a beat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't start when wet