LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD-6AL worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSD-6AL worth it?

just as the title sounds. I have alot of future mods planned, and was wondering would it be ok to go ahead and install one now. I have a friend who is getting rid of one cheap and thought about picking it up.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless you are going to be going to N20 or other FI you don't have any need to get an MSD and all you are doing is adding another componet to your ignition system that could potentially fail and leave you sitting by the roadside. I went down this road with MSD a few years ago and took it off the car a year later...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
unless you are going to be going to N20 or other FI you don't have any need to get an MSD and all you are doing is adding another componet to your ignition system that could potentially fail and leave you sitting by the roadside. I went down this road with MSD a few years ago and took it off the car a year later...
+1. Unnecessary for most people.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be using a 6AL-2 for my build for the 2-step and the strong possibility of N2O.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

I dunno if you are picking it up for cheap I think it might be worth it, especially since the factory ignition system is notoriously weak in the upper rpms. It is true that it is one more component that could fail, however it only takes a minute to unplug it from the harness and bypass it...I don't see any problem
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyguy358
I dunno if you are picking it up for cheap I think it might be worth it, especially since the factory ignition system is notoriously weak in the upper rpms. It is true that it is one more component that could fail, however it only takes a minute to unplug it from the harness and bypass it...I don't see any problem
Where did you hear that exactly?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Where did you hear that exactly?
X2!

More reguritated bullshit info.

My car ran the times in sig with STOCK ignition, STOCK opti spark, all it had was an Accel coil.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

if its cheap go for it, atleast you'll have a safer rev limiter. I cant say for sure either but theres a chance my msd box helps me get 450miles out of 1 tank on the highway.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

hmm...well lm planning on building a 355 or 383 stroker motor. It will see some strip duty. The main reason i was thinking about the box is for a safe rev limiter. Im also thinking about trying the MSD opti when the time comes. either that or go with a gm direct replacement
Old 04-25-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yes, but...

Yes, there is that possibility that, for no reason, the car could just "die" and leave your with a $200 towing bill (ask me how I know!), but if you keep in mind that the MSD-supplied wiring harness is only crimped (and poorly at that!) and you solder all the crimps, you’ll probably be ok.

: )

Of course if the unit fails, then you can always just disconnect it, and drive it that way too.

Now, I (like you) got my MSD cheap, and 3 years later, I am finally installing my STS kit. The MSD, even with a NA car, really smoothed out the idle on my car, it may do the same for you!

My $0.02 - If it is really cheap, just do it!

Originally Posted by multmigs

Quick Reply: MSD-6AL worth it?