LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark Opti Install

Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dynaspark Opti Install

Finally got this thing put and holy crap it made a big difference.

The car was running fairly "good" (or at least what I thought was good before).

Only problem I had is right at 4K and above it would have a random misfire. Not super bad but bad enough you could see the nose of the car drop.

The revs would also slow way down after 4K too like it was struggling to rev.

Thing is you would only know it if you were WOT. Under normal / mild driving the car great and made loads of torque and smooth under 4K.

Well since I already had the Dyna I decided to throw it on and the first time I got on the car after it was warmed up on the test drive I was like HOLY ****.

It made a huge difference, the way the car sounds, and goes through the rpm all the way from off idle to red line is just plain meaner.

The revs go super quick now, which they should with the 4:10's.

Very pleased with the dynaspark. It looks like a super high quality product, instructions were straight forward, and it's working great so far.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, now how old were the parts it replaced?????

People give these glowing reviews of new parts but are not quite analytical enough to realize they replaced worn out parts, so in all probablility they would have seen the SAME DIFFERENCE using new parts of the same part numbers they took off.

When I was young and inexperianced I was guilty of the same thing.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
now you're just old and crotchety.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
OK, now how old were the parts it replaced?????

People give these glowing reviews of new parts but are not quite analytical enough to realize they replaced worn out parts, so in all probablility they would have seen the SAME DIFFERENCE using new parts of the same part numbers they took off.

Well put. It PROBABLY wasn't even the optical unit at all, rather than just a simple cap/rotor replacement that did the trick. To the OP, it's great that old parts have been replaced, but I'm worried that you may have wasted money on parts you didn't need
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

First off I didn't waste a dime because the uninstalled dynaspark came with the car.

Second, I fully understand a cap and rotor may have fixed the problem. The stock opti had 80K on it. I'm not trying to pimp dynaspark any further than to say it fixed my issues and looks like a very high quality distributor.

96 you make it sounf like its a 5 minute job to simply reach in and change the cap and rotor like its a sbc, sbf etc. You and I both know that's not the case.
You're saying I should do all that work to put an 80,000 mile, non-vented, worn out piece of junk BACK on the car with a new cap and rotor and "hope" it fixes it? When I have a brand new aftermarket unit that is better in every way setting there ready to go on?

If you get off on gm optis mine is for sale lol. The dyna and msd both address several problem areas on the stock opti, especially the non-vented years, and I'm very glad there's one hanging on the front of my engine.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh snap! Lol...

Glad it worked out for you! I'm prolly be lookin in to a Dyna when mine kicks the bucket!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The bearings in my opti were shot at 100K, but my car sat for years, and I think the water pump had leaked on the opti before I put the car in storage. Personally, I don't think I would ever consider replacing only the cap & rotor on a high mileage optispark. They Dynaspark seems like an intriguing option. My perception is that it's a much better piece than the similarly priced MSD, but for the same money you could get at least 2 GM replacements.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the Dyna is probably the better of the two, although I think the MSD is a good unit too. Just expensive.

I think MSD solved their biggest issue of people having to loctite the rotors screws on the latest redesign, but don't quote me on that. Just something I heard on the internet.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dynaspark

Well the reason I went Dynaspark is because with my setup Procharged 383, the motor spooled up very quickly, I was only turning 6000-6200 RPM's and I had rotor failure out of stock GM Optis, I mean the rotor pickup would be sticking out the side of the opti like an arrow was shot from within, I tried the locktite trick still rotors would fail so I just decided one day to tryout the Dynaspark (No MSD at that time) and havent looked back...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I considered an MSD, but I'm glad I went with a GM replacement. Based on everything I've read, the Dynaspark sounds like a much better piece than the MSD. It's hard to find actual user experiences, and more often than not what you find will be negative because people rarely report when they have a good experience, with any product.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I considered an MSD, but I'm glad I went with a GM replacement. Based on everything I've read, the Dynaspark sounds like a much better piece than the MSD. It's hard to find actual user experiences, and more often than not what you find will be negative because people rarely report when they have a good experience, with any product.
Yea a lot of people "Quote" info about certain products but no real time experience, just what "They Heard" I know for a fact on the MSD Opti's a few customers of mine all had failures, but these were the first design and I believe that improvements have been made, not sure because all but one went to the Dyna spark..
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen more first hand failures with the MSD units then I have success. Dyna spark has been around for a few years, for most cars a new OEM replacement does great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dynaspark Opti Install