LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Air Pump problems???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump problems???

Well emissions is coming up soon and im throwing code P0410 (secondary air injection system) so that needs to be fixed the problem is i cant figure out why its making my car overheat. A while ago right after i bought my car it started to over heat, my dad took it to a shop and the mech unplugged something (my dad forgot what it was), iv been driving with it off for close to a year now, i didnt really care since the car wasnt overheating anymore. today i was looking under the hood and the only thing that is unplugged is the air pump, well i plugged it back in and the fans will not turn on so the car starts to overheat. well i pull over unplug it and check my fan fuse and its blown. everytime the air pump is hooked up the fans wont turn on and it blows the fuse. when the pump is unplugged the fans turn on around 160 and keep the coolant around 170-180 and the fuse doesnt blow. anyone have any ideas whats causing this? sorry if this is hard to understand
-its a 97 trans am
Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 97 Trans Am ws6
Well emissions is coming up soon and im throwing code P0410 (secondary air injection system) so that needs to be fixed the problem is i cant figure out why its making my car overheat. A while ago right after i bought my car it started to over heat, my dad took it to a shop and the mech unplugged something (my dad forgot what it was), iv been driving with it off for close to a year now, i didnt really care since the car wasnt overheating anymore. today i was looking under the hood and the only thing that is unplugged is the air pump, well i plugged it back in and the fans will not turn on so the car starts to overheat. well i pull over unplug it and check my fan fuse and its blown. everytime the air pump is hooked up the fans wont turn on and it blows the fuse. when the pump is unplugged the fans turn on around 160 and keep the coolant around 170-180 and the fuse doesnt blow. anyone have any ideas whats causing this? sorry if this is hard to understand
-its a 97 trans am
Maybe the AIR pump motor is bad. I think I have one in my garage.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Maybe the AIR pump motor is bad. I think I have one in my garage.
yea iv been told by two people that these pumps can get water in them, short out and when they try to turn on they will blow the fan fuse. is that true? and if its a bad pump how much for urs?
yea because with it unplugged there are no cooling problems
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also got one laying in my garage, if you need one. Why are you worried about emissions? It appears that you're in Chicago. I didn't think we had emissions testing in IL.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

I have an air pump off my 97 the car passed emissions before I removed it. pm me an offer if your interested.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tspence45
I've also got one laying in my garage, if you need one. Why are you worried about emissions? It appears that you're in Chicago. I didn't think we had emissions testing in IL.
yes there is i just got the notice in the mail for sometime in june...and cant buy pump until in sure thats whats wrong
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Your fans and AIR pump are on the same fuse. When you plug the pump in, it is blowing the fuse and the fans won't run. Replace your pump. If it has not been replaced under the old recall, call the dealer, give them your VIN and see if it is included. They will replace it for free under the recall.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

MIne had water in it a few years back and I replaced it myself, I never new that they where under recall, ****'s I paid close to $200 for that bastard from the dealership. I have one as well if your putting that stuff back on!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
Your fans and AIR pump are on the same fuse. When you plug the pump in, it is blowing the fuse and the fans won't run. Replace your pump. If it has not been replaced under the old recall, call the dealer, give them your VIN and see if it is included. They will replace it for free under the recall.
ight cool good to know ill give the, a call tomorrow and see if it was replaced already

Quick Reply: Air Pump problems???