LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vibration

Ive just got a bad vibration when accelerating hard and I think there is a banging noise too. It feels like its coming from the tranny area (m6). Its not doing it when reving in neutral. Any ideas? Tranny mount?

I Just noticed it after taking it out from winter storage, the only drivetrain related Ive done since last year is changing the rearend fluid, but the rearend is quiet and works good and its to far back..
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your tranny mount (actually remove your tranny cross member).
Check your torque arm mount.
Check your TA or cracks where it bolts to the diff.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Yes Im going to check all that. I havent got the car on a lift yet, I wanted some ideas on what to look for before I do it. I didnt think about the TA, good point!

Can I just unbolt the tranny crossmember without supporting the tranny? Ive never messed with the tranny before.. Just fluid change lol
Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by krill
Yes Im going to check all that. I havent got the car on a lift yet, I wanted some ideas on what to look for before I do it. I didnt think about the TA, good point!

Can I just unbolt the tranny crossmember without supporting the tranny? Ive never messed with the tranny before.. Just fluid change lol
You'll want to support it with a jack, then remove the crossmember, then lower the tranny slowly, then you can inspect the tranny mount thoroughly...while you are at it, might as well install a poly mount so that you never have to do that again. Furthermore, might as well install a poly torque arm mount too.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You'll want to support it with a jack, then remove the crossmember, then lower the tranny slowly, then you can inspect the tranny mount thoroughly...while you are at it, might as well install a poly mount so that you never have to do that again. Furthermore, might as well install a poly torque arm mount too.
And a 12 bolt, a built t56 etc. etc. lol I get what your saying, its a good idea while im at it.

So you say lower the tranny slowly, do I have to unbolt the driveshaft or anything else to do this or just the crossmember?

thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

And a 12 bolt, a built t56 etc. etc. lol I get what your saying, its a good idea while im at it.

So you say lower the tranny slowly, do I have to unbolt the driveshaft or anything else to do this or just the crossmember?

thanks
Opse , once you remove the crossmember, you don't have to lower the tranny at all, just unbolt the mount and bolt on the new one. You don't have to touch your ds either.

T56 and 9" f.t.w!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Awesome, thanks! Going to check this **** out next week. BTW, where is a good place, and brand to buy tranny and TA mounts?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome, thanks! Going to check this **** out next week. BTW, where is a good place, and brand to buy tranny and TA mounts?
I believe you can get a Energy Suspension poly trans mount from Autozone. Also you can buy a complete poly kit from Spohn. http://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997-...Total-Kit.html
Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Ok update:
I got the car on a lift yesterday to inspect and found NOTHING. All the mounts was good, tranny, TA, rear end etc. Exhaust hangers was also in place and everything seems to be good. But it still vibrates. The only thing I noticed was that there is a little vertical play in the driveshaft, but its just like a hair. I think thats normal.

Frustrating!!

Any more ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok update:
I got the car on a lift yesterday to inspect and found NOTHING. All the mounts was good, tranny, TA, rear end etc. Exhaust hangers was also in place and everything seems to be good. But it still vibrates. The only thing I noticed was that there is a little vertical play in the driveshaft, but its just like a hair. I think thats normal.

Frustrating!!

Any more ideas?
Exactly how did you verify that your mounts are all ok?
I had a bad vibration once, jacked up the car, inspected the tranns mount, it honestly looked good, I even tried to pry up the tranns with a pry bar nothing. I finally dropped the cross member and found the trans mount almost in two pieces. Replaced it and it was all good.
I recently swapped my stock ds with a LS1 alum ds and it eliminated more vibration. I have a poly trans mount and soon poly motor mounts are going in. Vibrations is something I'm going to have to live with.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly how did you verify that your mounts are all ok?
I had a bad vibration once, jacked up the car, inspected the tranns mount, it honestly looked good, I even tried to pry up the tranns with a pry bar nothing. I finally dropped the cross member and found the trans mount almost in two pieces. Replaced it and it was all good.
I recently swapped my stock ds with a LS1 alum ds and it eliminated more vibration. I have a poly trans mount and soon poly motor mounts are going in. Vibrations is something I'm going to have to live with.
Ok I did like you did, tried to pry up on it with a prybar etc. It looked good and solid but idk. The weird thing is it doesnt vibrate everytime I get on it, most of the time though, like 75% of the times, and when it does its bad. If I have a passenger in the car both of us can feel it through the floor.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok I did like you did, tried to pry up on it with a prybar etc. It looked good and solid but idk. The weird thing is it doesnt vibrate everytime I get on it, most of the time though, like 75% of the times, and when it does its bad. If I have a passenger in the car both of us can feel it through the floor.
75% of the time, it vibrates every time...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Launching!

75% of the time, it vibrates 100%

lol
Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

75% of the time, it vibrates 100%

lol
I was just referencing Anchorman.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

hahah yea now I remember, havent seen that one in some time

I didnt mean to come off like a smartass, I was just trying to make fun of myself lol

I blame the internetz
Old 05-08-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I would not let the trans hang on the motor. That is a good way to break the oil pressure sending unit ( learned this the hard way ). Keep it supported the whole time.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Launching!

I have also noticed that the shifter makes more noise then it used to. I have a pro 5.0 som im used to a little noise but its def. more since the vibration started. Mostly on decel and when I blip the throttle under heavy load, like in 4th - 5th gear at 1500 rpms..

What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you ever drop the crossmember to inspect the trans mount like I told you to?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Launching!

No I did not. Im thinking if I am going to remove the crossmember I might as well replace the mount while I have it apart, so If dont get any more suggestions or ideas im just going to replace the trans- and TA mounts (both poly) and go from there..

Quick Reply: Bad vibration