LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EWP Relay Kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EWP Relay Kit ???

Ok so I just received my summit EWP, the pump was supplied with a set of wires which also includes a fuse (see pic), I know nothing about wiring connection stuff so im planning to have an electrician to have it installed for me, im kind of confused, I read in some threads that a (Painless EWP Relay Kit) is required for the installation and I also read in some other threads that some have used the Air Pump relay for the EWP wiring connection, so I was thinking since my AP is already deleted why not use the AP relay for my EWP, I really don’t want to spend money on unnecessary stuff, just need to keep the installation as simple as possible,, so my question is do I need to order the EWP relay kit or will I be able to install it with only the provided wires ?

Thanx
Attached Thumbnails EWP Relay Kit ???-dsc00032.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

The relay is nothing more than a switch triggered by an electromagnet.
When the "trigger" circuit is energized, it flips the switch allowing current
to flow though and turn the water pump on. I use the fan circuit as a trigger
since it comes on in ACC (IE: key in and tuned to any position) as is easy
to find under the fuse box (big orange wire).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EWP Install.pdf (311.9 KB, 451 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use the air pump relay, it makes a cleaner install since you don't have to add a relay and find a place to mount it.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

James: thanx for the diagram looks pretty simple, now i got a clear idea of how the wiring works

LNS: yeah i guess ill just have to use the AP realy
Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by monster81

Thanx
You need to do this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/calder.c...37224064474370
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a relay kit Painless makes one for the EWP....Its $25 from Summit..

--Alan
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
You can use the air pump relay, it makes a cleaner install since you don't have to add a relay and find a place to mount it.
Originally Posted by monster81
James: thanx for the diagram looks pretty simple, now i got a clear idea of how the wiring works

LNS: yeah i guess ill just have to use the AP realy
I know this is old. But I wanted to verify that you can acually use the AIR pump relay to run an ewp and just run the power and ground lines that used to go to the air pump to the ewp? Is that what was meant by post #3? I thought that this wouldn't work because the AIR pump only comes on for a few mins after start up and then shuts off...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default Air pump relay

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
Not sure about how this would work, usually if you do away with the air pump injection don't you get it tuned out of the PCM. Call me crazy but I think that's what I just had done when I removed all emissions stuff. Wouldn't that disable the wiring. I'm not trying to say it's a great idea but I just don't know.

I do on the other hand have a question. As far as the fuse panel, which would be the best to tap into as for the switch source. Would that be any of the following( Radio, courtesy, pwr accy, or PCM ign. I just want the waterpump to come on when every I have the key in any position. What do you guys thing?????
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Not sure about how this would work, usually if you do away with the air pump injection don't you get it tuned out of the PCM. Call me crazy but I think that's what I just had done when I removed all emissions stuff. Wouldn't that disable the wiring. I'm not trying to say it's a great idea but I just don't know.

I do on the other hand have a question. As far as the fuse panel, which would be the best to tap into as for the switch source. Would that be any of the following( Radio, courtesy, pwr accy, or PCM ign. I just want the waterpump to come on when every I have the key in any position. What do you guys thing?????
Usually only the code is tuned out when you ditch emissions. The wiring is still there.

I have seen people tap into the PCM/ign fuse or the fan relay for switch power. Still deciding which one I am going to use. Thing is IF the air pump relay will work, I won't need to tap into anything for switch power, the air pump relay would now be used to power the EWP...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Wasn't sure! Thanks but still seems like it may be a little work to use the air pump injection relay, may be I'm crazy. Do you just splice right into the lines in the back of the relay or what?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Wasn't sure! Thanks but still seems like it may be a little work to use the air pump injection relay, may be I'm crazy. Do you just splice right into the lines in the back of the relay or what?
Basically if this is doable, all you would have to do is trace the power and ground wires from the relay to the air pump connector (I have !AIR) and cut them and run them to power the EWP...easy.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would wire it into the Fuse Box.. some of you guys are sayin puttin it where the AIR Pump Relay is.. as long as you wire it in properly it will work without a problem.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Still not answering the question, which actually fuse should I splice into in the fuse box???? I listed like four of them that I can think of that you can actually wire it to. Just wondering what everyone else would splice into!