LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Building a 383

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 383

What pistons and heads should I get? I'd like to see 400+ horse power and run fuel injection, and maybe even a future turbo set up.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

For a ball park estimate
You will want a dished style piston something along the lines of -20 cc or more dish.
Heads I would recommend trickflows, also do not forget a cam you can get "close" to 400whp with heads and cam with low compression, then put the turbo on and you will be hauling the mail (way past 400whp lol).
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadran
What pistons and heads should I get? I'd like to see 400+ horse power and run fuel injection, and maybe even a future turbo set up.
you need to make up your mind as to what you want to do before building any engine. claiming you just might put a turbo on later is not good enough. if you decide against forced induction then you will end up with a low compression turd. you have to understand when building something this serious everything needs to be considered.
i would recommend starting out simple with a good heads/cam combo and then go from there. much more cost effective than jumping in with both feet. more times than not, those who do that end up scrapping the project due to lack of funds, interest or just plain getting in over their heads...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to sit down with a machine shop and builder to figure out what is going to work best for your application. Not ask on here being there are too many variables. The camshaft will also be something that will play a big roll in your build. Normally for a blower/turbo application you will want to go with a lower compression set up. I'm not to far from you here in Oregon and being you are in Seattle, you have one of the best builders out your way. Post up in the "NW members section" and we can help steer you towards a builder.

Elliott
Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 AM

I'll talk with some builders but I'm doing everything my self. I'm a plane mechanic and the point of this project is to see how everything works more than anything else. I don't plan on going to the strip as much as I want to show off to co-workers with their V-Tech and Rotary Motors. The only ones that sport V8s are ones that have trucks or Vettes. Thanks for the info though.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Do it right the first time, or you'll end up paying for parts twice. Just ask me how I know. If you stay totally NA, go with flat top pistons and a LE head and cam package. If you might go turbo, flat tops will probably not be a good choice. There is a -16cc dish SRP piston that will yield about 10.3 - 1 CR. With a good head and cam selection, you can see over 400 RWHP without the turbo. You could then add that later. If you are on a budget, there is a set of forged srp pistons in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Building a 383