LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AIR system delete question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AIR system delete question.

I get the feeling this is going to be a mad dumb question, but whatever. How the hell do you get the brackets undone that hold the metal tube in? Especially the one on the passenger side?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What bracket? Are you talking about the 7/8 nut that holds the tube into the manifold? Or are you speaking of the plastic clamps that hold the hoses onto the metal tube that routes to both sides of the engine?

Be a little bit more specific.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How the hell do you get the brackets undone?!?!

Yeah, that one on the pass side of my 96 was double plus un-fun!

If I recall properly, I found a small bracket on the back of the A/C compressor which held on that air pipe; I think it was a 13 mm head on the bolt, but I could be mistaken....

Anyway, it can be done, cause I did it (using a socket, flashlight, and a couple of extensions), but - I don't remember if I took the pass side tire off or not..

If you can't see the actual bracket, then loosen everything you can holding the air tube in place and start moving the tube, that way you'll find the anchor point. Good luck!

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
I get the feeling this is going to be a mad dumb question, but whatever. How the hell do you get the brackets undone that hold the metal tube in? Especially the one on the passenger side?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
Yeah, that one on the pass side of my 96 was double plus un-fun!

If I recall properly, I found a small bracket on the back of the A/C compressor which held on that air pipe; I think it was a 13 mm head on the bolt, but I could be mistaken....

Anyway, it can be done, cause I did it (using a socket, flashlight, and a couple of extensions), but - I don't remember if I took the pass side tire off or not..

If you can't see the actual bracket, then loosen everything you can holding the air tube in place and start moving the tube, that way you'll find the anchor point. Good luck!
If you're just removing everything, I'd cut it all out. To hell with loosening stuff. That's what I did.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Once you remove the air pump, you should see a single bolt that bolts the air pump bracket to the block. Remove that and unbolt the nut in the back that the metal air pipe bolt to and throw it all away.

Quick Reply: AIR system delete question.