LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head gasket is blown! 355 build coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket is blown! 355 build coming

Well i do have a head gasket shot,and i was wondering since me and a few friends are doin the work ourselves how hard is it to puill these engines,it dosnt look fun at all?

Also is there a good rebuild kit for lt1 engines out there???? if so where lol
thanks for the help
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you pull it from the bottom it isn't that hard and you can leave the trans attached.... As for rebuild kits, check summit, They've had some decent deals in the past, or even talk to your local machine shop. They may have something they recommend. But if you're going to spend the money to have it punched it won't cost much more to have it clearanced for a 4" stroke. Then you spend a little extra and get a whole rotating assembly and go for 383. as an alternative you can go 355 and spend a little extra on head work and a cam...Either way, it'll be a fun experience. If it's your first motor job I'd recommend taking lots of pictures and notes so you don't have the mysterious extra parts laying around. Keep bolts for one component in baggies and label them...it'll make putting it back together easier and it'll make a nice record of what you just went through
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Unless the piston rings are failing a leak-down, why are you wanting to go 355?

You'd get more out of a good set of ported heads than from a .030" overbore (or even a stroker).
In fact, IMHO, they should be a prerequisite to increasing displacement.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

^I agree as well, but I'm assuming he has some decent "breathing" so....then again you know what they say when you ***-u-me
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Yea the rings are shot i have coolant in the crankcase,i thinks its justa tired engine.
I plan on getting an le package after i get the short block rebuilt.
I'm just trying to do this on a budget 355
any ideas?????
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

well true budget would be tear it apart, take the block to get fluxed, and checked. Line-hone the mains, bore and hone cyl., deck the block so she's straight. Then have the crank cleaned and maybe turned, have the rods sized and install arp hardware. Get a set of bearings to match(if crank is turned, etc.), then get a set of .030 over pistons (depending on your power adder expectations, maybe go forged) and usually they come with a set of rings. Have the new pistons installed, then take it all home and put 'er back together with a new oil pump, HV or HP pick your poison. then you should still have a few bucks for the Head work if you want to go bigger than you already have. That way you can take full advantage of the cam. Finally get it tuned and you sshould have a decent and reliable power plant. That bottom end should be good to handle 150 shot easy with a set of forged pistons, probably more. Good Luck
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duh
well true budget would be tear it apart, take the block to get fluxed, and checked. Line-hone the mains, bore and hone cyl., deck the block so she's straight. Then have the crank cleaned and maybe turned, have the rods sized and install arp hardware. Get a set of bearings to match(if crank is turned, etc.), then get a set of .030 over pistons (depending on your power adder expectations, maybe go forged) and usually they come with a set of rings. Have the new pistons installed, then take it all home and put 'er back together with a new oil pump, HV or HP pick your poison. then you should still have a few bucks for the Head work if you want to go bigger than you already have. That way you can take full advantage of the cam. Finally get it tuned and you sshould have a decent and reliable power plant. That bottom end should be good to handle 150 shot easy with a set of forged pistons, probably more. Good Luck
That is exactly what im planning on doin... Any guesses on what the machine work will cost?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

It will kill 1k if yoy have ^all of that done
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks guys im trying to get all this done for around 2000 dollars.
Wish me luck its my first time pulling this engine,should be quite an experience..
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1_Fireman
It will kill 1k if yoy have ^all of that done
+1^ but it also depends on which shop you use, so go and talk to them and see what they'll charge. You can probably even negotiate with them a little

Quick Reply: Head gasket is blown! 355 build coming