LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting trouble!

Okay, so when I first got the car a few months ago I got it home and a few days later I got in and it would turn over fine, but nothing happened. After several minutes of turning it over it started to hit a little, then more and more, til finally it started. After that it run good for a couple days, til it did it again. I thought it was flooding due to leaking injectors, so I bought new ones. Man the car got a renewed life had lots more power and started fine, for a while. Today a couple weeks later it is doing it again.

It will turn over easily, iff you hold it down for thirty seconds or so, when you let off it will act like it is trying to start, but the crank is going the wrong way. Then you try again and it turns right til you let off then backwards again. It started to hit alittle, but my battery went dead.

So any input would be greatly appresiated.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock692
Okay, so when I first got the car a few months ago I got it home and a few days later I got in and it would turn over fine, but nothing happened. After several minutes of turning it over it started to hit a little, then more and more, til finally it started. After that it run good for a couple days, til it did it again. I thought it was flooding due to leaking injectors, so I bought new ones. Man the car got a renewed life had lots more power and started fine, for a while. Today a couple weeks later it is doing it again.

It will turn over easily, iff you hold it down for thirty seconds or so, when you let off it will act like it is trying to start, but the crank is going the wrong way. Then you try again and it turns right til you let off then backwards again. It started to hit alittle, but my battery went dead.

So any input would be greatly appresiated.
Thanks guys.
At first I was going to say you might have a bad check ball in your fuel pump or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

But you are saying that when you stop cranking it, it will actually start to spin counter clock wise when looking at the engine form the front?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Correct! And if I take the intake elbow off smoke (I guess) comes out the tb!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

ttt......Anyone???
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm assuming you are talking about an LT1 and not a lawnmower. You don't mention what it is in your post. From what you are describing I would be checking out the dreaded opti.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Yes sorry 95 camaro LT1. Would the opti do this only every so often? How do I check it?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

ttt.....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Okay, while trying to start the car last night I run the battery down. I charged it all day. When I got in it today, turned the key and bam! she started right up.

Is it possible for the pcm to see a low voltage battery and not let it start for this reason?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

ttt????
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock692
Okay, while trying to start the car last night I run the battery down. I charged it all day. When I got in it today, turned the key and bam! she started right up.

Is it possible for the pcm to see a low voltage battery and not let it start for this reason?
If you don't have enough power to fully excite the starter, it won't start.