LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 temps????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 temps????

so yesterday was a pretty hot day here, and my low coolant light comes on?? i imiediatly stopped and my coolant was not low at all in bottle. car was running around 210+ when going real slow in town, but if i get up to speed it cools to the right above the 160 mark. never goes into the red zone on the temp gauge, just wondering where do your lt1 cars normally run for temp? and is it normal to get that warm when idleing. this morning when the car was cold i took the radiator cap off and its completely full. and on the drive to school there was no low coolant light. just kinda curious on your cars's temps...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
so yesterday was a pretty hot day here, and my low coolant light comes on?? i imiediatly stopped and my coolant was not low at all in bottle. car was running around 210+ when going real slow in town, but if i get up to speed it cools to the right above the 160 mark. never goes into the red zone on the temp gauge, just wondering where do your lt1 cars normally run for temp? and is it normal to get that warm when idleing. this morning when the car was cold i took the radiator cap off and its completely full. and on the drive to school there was no low coolant light. just kinda curious on your cars's temps...
Sounds completely normal for LT1 operating temp...210-230 sitting/~160 at speed.
The intermittent low coolant light means you probably need a new low coolant sensor.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

thats what i thought, i figured it couldnt be too big of a deal as the car was running strong and dropping temp good when moving over 30-35 mph, i purchased a bottle of dex-cool just in case, but never had to use it, lol. do you guys all still use DEX-COOL in your lt1's? ive heard bad things about it from some hack mechanics lol
Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
thats what i thought, i figured it couldnt be too big of a deal as the car was running strong and dropping temp good when moving over 30-35 mph, i purchased a bottle of dex-cool just in case, but never had to use it, lol. do you guys all still use DEX-COOL in your lt1's? ive heard bad things about it from some hack mechanics lol
Never had an issue. I use dexcool in both my Camaro's.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

alrighty, thanks a bunch for the info.