LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wont start..... Opti? ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wont start..... Opti? ECU?

1996 Camaro 110k 6 speed. Bought the car 1 year ago...... had some issues.... replaced the opti... issues remained.

PAST:

1. Car would randomly die in stop light... would not idle. (sporadically .... most of the time the car is fine).

2. Sometimes the car would not shut off (key in hand... car would stay on for 5+ mins, would have to stall it out to shut it off

.... i read online.... and deiced to replace the opti-spark (pain in the a**)... but the problems never went away.

1 year later and ive learned to just deal with the car.... mainly it runs great.

Today
the car will not start at all.

- Got fuel
-tested ICM (autozone confirmed good)
-replaced the coil...

Coil produces no spark...... however the weird thing is... it does produce 2 sparks when you stop cranking the engine.

Ex: key on... crank crank crank crank (no spark).... stop cranking (coil produces 2-3 sparks).

What do you guys think? Opti? last time i replaced it... it didn't fix any of the intermetent problems.

ECU? can i test this somehow?

help please
Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the MAF yet? Not sure if it would react this way though...spark should still be there even if the MAF is malfunctioning, but it seems like you checked the other obvious stuff.

Quick Reply: Wont start..... Opti? ECU?