LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i am in lt1 hell!! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am in lt1 hell!! HELP PLEASE!

So i started a thread about my problems with my car a while back and i still am lost on what is wrong with this thing. Its a 97 and its throughing po300 while engine is off and po303 when the engine is running. I have gone over everything checked the injector harnesses with a noid light replaced all of the ignition system and still have the same code even changed the injectors around to see if it would show up in a different cylender but no. Pulled #3 plug and was a little burnt white like its lean then pulled 1 and 2 and they where burnt the same as well i have cold plugs in it with a lite gap because i spray this car i cant figure out what the prob is also checked the fuel pressure and it was normal i dont know what else to look for. can anyone help me please!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is you're shot a dry or wet shot?? It sounds like you ran it lean. Weather it was with the spray or not it sounds like she's lean. Chances are you toasted your o2's or you have internal damage (since you've eliminated everything else) Pull the o2's out and see what they look like, then do a compression and leakdown test. That'll give you an idea as to where to go next....

Good Luck
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by duh
Is you're shot a dry or wet shot?? It sounds like you ran it lean. Weather it was with the spray or not it sounds like she's lean. Chances are you toasted your o2's or you have internal damage (since you've eliminated everything else) Pull the o2's out and see what they look like, then do a compression and leakdown test. That'll give you an idea as to where to go next....

Good Luck
+2 on doing a compression and leak down test.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

well im guessing its just lean because havent sprayed it on these plugs ive just been trying to get the code out of it so its only seen idle on these plugs. i havent drivent it since last summer when it through the cout ive been layed off of work so no $$ to fix it i plan on the compression test next im hoping that its not internal id like to race it this year but that would be my luck
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

and im spraying wet
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Since you're getting a distinct cyl code (p0303) maybe look at swapping the o2's from side to side, just to see if it follows. You may have a faulty o2 that's reading a miss. then make sure that the wires haven't melted (I know it was probably one of the first things you did) If it doesn't follow the o2, you're probably not going to be happy with the compression and leak down tests
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by somlt1
well im guessing its just lean because havent sprayed it on these plugs ive just been trying to get the code out of it so its only seen idle on these plugs. i havent drivent it since last summer when it through the cout ive been layed off of work so no $$ to fix it i plan on the compression test next im hoping that its not internal id like to race it this year but that would be my luck
Do both a compression and leak down test.

Originally Posted by duh
Since you're getting a distinct cyl code (p0303) maybe look at swapping the o2's from side to side, just to see if it follows. You may have a faulty o2 that's reading a miss. then make sure that the wires haven't melted (I know it was probably one of the first things you did) If it doesn't follow the o2, you're probably not going to be happy with the compression and leak down tests
Worth a try.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 AM
12 Second Club

Smile

lol funny you would say that because i went under the car last night and was going to pull out the o2's but when i got down there the extenters and the o2 wires on the drivers side were all melted so i think thats gonna be the problem hopefully
Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

that could be your issue
once you get that fixed drive her around and see what happens....maybe clear your codes first that way you know for sure if it comes back
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol funny you would say that because i went under the car last night and was going to pull out the o2's but when i got down there the extenters and the o2 wires on the drivers side were all melted so i think thats gonna be the problem hopefully
Did you fix it???
Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys youve been so much help and im so damn happy i will finaly have my car back driving after half a year sitting. I will be going to pick up a new exterder and o2 censer this weekend so i can get it to the track next week and then hopefully i can get it out to the ltx shootout. Thank you all again!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you guys youve been so much help and im so damn happy i will finaly have my car back driving after half a year sitting. I will be going to pick up a new exterder and o2 censer this weekend so i can get it to the track next week and then hopefully i can get it out to the ltx shootout. Thank you all again!
You could always drive with the o2 sensor unplugged for a quick test.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

thats true i could do that to see if it will just set off the o2 senser inop code
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

fml!! i tryed it with the drivers o2 unplugged and still after like a minute po303 what the f!! what really has me stumped is it runs real good till that code comes up i would think if there was a compression issue it would run shitty all the time?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so wait... you just checked the o2 wires... after a year and a half..?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

well a year ago i did my headers and the o2's and the extenders were all new so i hadn't thought to check there i dont beleive thats the problem anymore anyways since the same code came up after it was dissconnected
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

did you try a compression test on cylinder number 3? I would try that and compare it to a couple of others, espically seeing that it seems like you checked the fuel and ignition system pretty good. I'm not sure here, but it could possibly be a burnt/bad exhaust valve. Espically with the nitrous the exhaust valve will get hotter than usual.

Quick Reply: i am in lt1 hell!! HELP PLEASE!