LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 TA T56 won't start-security light on!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 TA T56 won't start-security light on!!

my car is stuck at a gas station only because the oem security (vats?) is on. i took the battery cables off and put them back on after 3 mins and this has worked in the past. not this time. i want to find a way to eliminate this problem. i know that doing so is making my car easier to hotwire but better than being stuck somewhere. thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are two 22ga. wires running down your steering column. if you reconnect them to the other side of the wires....fix the break and you should be good to go. These wires break all the time and the only way to fix it is replace the ignition switch with the one of 8 different vats equipped switches, or delete vats from your programming. It's truely a P.I.T.A!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Even if you delete VATS it wouldn't start.

As mentioned above it sounds like the wires in your column have a break in them somewhere. It's a common problem on older cars. These wires measure the resistance in the chip in your key and that resistance must match the stored value in your TDM/BCM within a certain %. If not the car won't start. There are a couple tests you can do by jumping the resistor wires or the relay switch.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg

Wire in a resistor to match the resistance of the pellet in your key at the point marked in the diagram above.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. i left it for four hours and put the terminals back on and it started right up. i know that it will happen again sometime. probuly will happen at the worst time. i only drive for 20 minutes on a open toll road to work and i was very gentle on the gas as i was low on gas. maybe that's the problem keep, i need to haul *** to work. lol. well i will look into it shbox and see if i can do this resister thing. untill then this is no getaway car!!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Teching In

There are modules out there for Vats delete. Its how we're able to swap the LT's into older cars without the chipped ignitions an keys. They're pretty easy to install and just emulate the same thing that was said with wiring in a resistor only this way you don't need to try and figure out which resistance chip your key has.

Quick Reply: 1995 TA T56 won't start-security light on!!