LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Popping and banging!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping and banging!!!!!

I JUST INSTALLED A NEW SET OF INJECTORS WENT FROM 30LBS TO 42LBS. WE STARTED OUT TO THE TRACK AND AT 4000 RPMS THE CAR STARTS POPPING AND BANGING MISSING REAL BAD..I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? WE LOOKED AT ALL THE PLUG WIRES THEY ARE FINE. WE CHANGED ALL THE PLUGS THEY WE FLOODED A LITTLE BUT NOT TO BAD (WE SPRAY THE CAR).. THE CAR RUNS FINE UNTIL YOU GET ON IT A LITTLE AND AT 4000 ON THE MONEY IT STARTS THIS ****... HELP PLEASE
Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttransamlt1
I JUST INSTALLED A NEW SET OF INJECTORS WENT FROM 30LBS TO 42LBS. WE STARTED OUT TO THE TRACK AND AT 4000 RPMS THE CAR STARTS POPPING AND BANGING MISSING REAL BAD..I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? WE LOOKED AT ALL THE PLUG WIRES THEY ARE FINE. WE CHANGED ALL THE PLUGS THEY WE FLOODED A LITTLE BUT NOT TO BAD (WE SPRAY THE CAR).. THE CAR RUNS FINE UNTIL YOU GET ON IT A LITTLE AND AT 4000 ON THE MONEY IT STARTS THIS ****... HELP PLEASE
You did tune it to the new larger size injectors didn't you?
If not, you car is going to be running pig rich and it will likely back fire out the exhaust. You better get it tuned or go back to the size injectors it is tuned for or else you are going to damage your plugs, o2's, and you could even wash your cylinder walls.

Off topic: What's with the all caps???
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Off topic: What's with the all caps???[/QUOTE]

Sorry I am at work and forget some times... We went in and adjusted the fixed table from 30 to 42. That is all we did. Not sure what else we need to change.. That still does not explain the problem with the car when it hits 4k rpms.....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttransamlt1
Sorry I am at work and forget some times... We went in and adjusted the fixed table from 30 to 42. That is all we did. Not sure what else we need to change.. That still does not explain the problem with the car when it hits 4k rpms.....
If all you did was change injectors, sounds like a tuning issue. Easy test is to swap back to the 30's and readjust the fixed table to 30. If all of your problems disappear, you can go ahead and put the 42's back on and have a competent tuner tune your car for the larger injectors.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah agreed ..the 42's might have thrown your VE tables off
Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If all you did was change injectors, sounds like a tuning issue. Easy test is to swap back to the 30's and readjust the fixed table to 30. If all of your problems disappear, you can go ahead and put the 42's back on and have a competent tuner tune your car for the larger injectors.
I dont understand how the larger injectors would cause this issue....
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
competent tuners are hard to find on lt1's in houston. everyone has jumped ship and gone strictly ls1 around here.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
Yeah agreed ..the 42's might have thrown your VE tables off
what are the VE tables? By going to a bigger injector what would it to do the VE tables? we have the tuner cat program, that is how we were able to change the ecm constant for the larger injectors
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

VE= Volumetric efficiency. The amount of fuel mixture in the cylinder relative to total volume of cylinder. So pretty much like everyones saying, your getting too much fuel for the cylinder/spark/heads to burn efficiently.

Quick Reply: Popping and banging!!!!!