LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weld a bung or drill and tap for a fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weld a bung or drill and tap for a fitting?

I have a stainless steel ORY and an Autometer Pyrometer. The pyro is supplied with a steel (not SS) bung that can be welded into the exhaust pipe. It also comes with a fitting that threads into the bung.
Should I have the bung welded into the pipe (and what issues would the welder encounter with welding mild steel to stainless?). This would require that I take the pipe and the bung to a skilled welder, which I will have to find here in Indy.
Or should I drill and tap the pipe for the fitting itself? I am skilled at this part and have everything I need to do this myself.
The main thing is that I want to do it the best way, not the cheapest way.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I have a stainless steel ORY and an Autometer Pyrometer. The pyro is supplied with a steel (not SS) bung that can be welded into the exhaust pipe. It also comes with a fitting that threads into the bung.
Should I have the bung welded into the pipe (and what issues would the welder encounter with welding mild steel to stainless?). This would require that I take the pipe and the bung to a skilled welder, which I will have to find here in Indy.
Or should I drill and tap the pipe for the fitting itself? I am skilled at this part and have everything I need to do this myself.
The main thing is that I want to do it the best way, not the cheapest way.
Cut a hole and weld on the bung.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the direction I was leaning, but I know they are disimilar metals and I know nothing about welding, other that there is TIG and MIG welding.
It seems that most recommend TIG welding for stainless. I guess that is what I should have done, even though the bung is mild steel. Would you agree?