LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any one on here running a delteq?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one on here running a delteq?

Hey guys i was just wondering if anyone is running the delteq? I'm pretty new to the site. I've had my 96 ta for about 4 years it has a msd opti and i think its about to take a crap on me. Haven't had time to tear it apart yet but the cap is loose and the car is cutting out around 4-6k rpms. How do you like the delteq if you have it? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would think twice about buying a delteq, since there is virtually no product support due to the illness of the owner. If you have a problem, you are on your own. It would be a good idea to do more research.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Is there any other systems out there that virtually get rid of the opti?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Murdered96TA
Is there any other systems out there that virtually get rid of the opti?
The LTCC would be comparable to the Delteq. You still need the optical part of the opti. Look for the thread about the LS1 PCM. It gets rid of the opti, but will cost ya'.

[edit] Here it is: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-ls1-pcm.html
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the opti cap is loose why not tighten it before blindly throwing money at it. The MSD opti is not very good though so you might consider a stocker.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

IMO, for the majority of people, the stock ignition system is more than sufficient for their needs. Fix or replace your opti and move on.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the delteq bare bones kit about 3 years ago. i like the idea of multiple coils but whether it actually helps i couldnt say. although if you do buy the system its not as hard to diagnose as people make out. the few ignition problems ive had always was able to fix without throwing parts at the car. like others said though, you still need the optical part but you can ditch the cap and rotor.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away and here delteq is out of buisness
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive got one on mine and i love it, i was lucky enough to get a spare delteq ignition module ( only part you cant buy from gm) before everything happened with him.

The setup works great but im gonna switch to a fast, or an ls1 pcm when i do my turbo
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys. I didn't plan on blindly throwing money towards something else. Just trying to figure out what else is out there.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you TRUELY want to get rid of the opti it looks like the LS1 pcm conversion would be the ticket.

The Delteq and LTCC both need a functional opti base. Meaning if they "fix" anything all you needed was a $100 cap and rotor.

The Delteq always was the kit with less features, the LTCC does more. For some reason the the Delteq always generated more interst like this and continues too. Bet it has been nearly a year the company has been esentially gone yet questions like this post are still common. If you do research you will find it has some reliability issues with the circuitry too.

A few highly knowledgable guys have complained of the LTCC killing coils due to dwell control but it is not nearly as widespread a problem as the circuitry troubles with Delteq.

I will agree that in a perfect world multiple coils is a better setup, BUT the stock system on the LT1 works pretty well inside our rpm limitations and sofar most of the applications of multiple coils to the LT1 leave a little something to be desired.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. I'm guessing most of the
lt1 guys here just run a gm replacement?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Murdered96TA
Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. I'm guessing most of the
lt1 guys here just run a gm replacement?
The wise ones who's set up falls within the realm of the stock ignition system's capabilities.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

96caprice: i couldnt disagree more on the delteq thing, the delteq might not be ideal, but it sure beats the stock opti, and with tons of guys breaking rotors and what not this is a great solution. Yes i would agree it wouldnt be the best idea to get this as the company is gone so if it breaks your in trouble, but trying to compare an ls1 setup to a delteq is a bit of a stretch. A used delteq can be had for around 400 bucks, where the ls1 setup is around 1500 all said and done, and the only part you cant get from gm is the delteq modules so if you have a spare your in good shape.

For the record i didnt put the delteq on thinking it would gain hp, i dont belive in the msd type boxes and "10hp from ignition" thats all hype and stock gm ignitions are hard to beat but for reliability i like the delteq and my car runs great

However, i have built several 400+ rwhp lt1s that used stock gm vented optis that have lasted with 50,60k of hard miles and they worked great, so its really hit or miss, but i definatly wouldnt put anything but a gm opti in a car
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
96caprice: i couldnt disagree more on the delteq thing, the delteq might not be ideal, but it sure beats the stock opti, and with tons of guys breaking rotors and what not this is a great solution. Yes i would agree it wouldnt be the best idea to get this as the company is gone so if it breaks your in trouble, but trying to compare an ls1 setup to a delteq is a bit of a stretch. A used delteq can be had for around 400 bucks, where the ls1 setup is around 1500 all said and done, and the only part you cant get from gm is the delteq modules so if you have a spare your in good shape.

For the record i didnt put the delteq on thinking it would gain hp, i dont belive in the msd type boxes and "10hp from ignition" thats all hype and stock gm ignitions are hard to beat but for reliability i like the delteq and my car runs great

However, i have built several 400+ rwhp lt1s that used stock gm vented optis that have lasted with 50,60k of hard miles and they worked great, so its really hit or miss, but i definatly wouldnt put anything but a gm opti in a car
I think the vast majority of opti problems are either A) not thread locking the rotor screws, B) using cheap piece of crap replacement opti's, C) not checking your engine and letting your WP puke all over the opti, or D) extreme builds with high rpms. The opti has been given a much undeserved bad reputation. Once again, for the majority of people out there, the stock ignition system is more that sufficient.

Quick Reply: Any one on here running a delteq?