LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car loses power under load... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car loses power under load... Please help.

I just bought a 94 TA last week. Today it cut off on me while driving down the highway around 55 - 60 mph. I towed it home and changed the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pressure and it is at around 36 psi idling and 43 psi under a load. The car will rev and run fine in park or nuetral but, when I put it in gear and push the gas, it sputters under a load like its trying to shut off. it has 134,000 miles on it. Any ideas?? This is my first f-body or lt1 so any suggestions would help tremendously.

Thanks
Jared
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Badass94TA
I just bought a 94 TA last week. Today it cut off on me while driving down the highway around 55 - 60 mph. I towed it home and changed the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pressure and it is at around 36 psi idling and 43 psi under a load. The car will rev and run fine in park or nuetral but, when I put it in gear and push the gas, it sputters under a load like its trying to shut off. it has 134,000 miles on it. Any ideas?? This is my first f-body or lt1 so any suggestions would help tremendously.

Thanks
Jared
Any codes?

Did you test your fuel pressure with the vacuum line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator? Did you test the fuel pressure at WOT while driving?

If you just bought the car and have no idea how many miles are on what parts, the first thing I would do is change(install) the following parts in the following order: plugs (new NGK TR55's), wires (MSD 8.5mm wires), coil (GM replacement), o2's (AC Delco), and opti (new AC Delco w/ MSD cap and rotor {vented conversion}). Perform the ICM cooling mod while you are at it. Also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend had a car that would cut out at 65mph under hard throttle, acted almost like it ran out of fuel. Took awhile but what we found was a broken coil post. Under light load the cylinder pressure is relatively load and easy for the spark to jump the gap. Under heavier load the mix is denser and harder for the spark and that makes weaker areas in the ignition system leak the spark.

I think this was really a freak thing but it would be work giving the coil terminal/wire a good check.

Quick Reply: Car loses power under load... Please help.