LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car not starting help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default car not starting help...

Hey guys, finally got my car back together in the process of trying to get it to start, here's what i've done:

1) charged up battery - checked all grounds - all fine.
2) clutch in - car in neutral try to start, nothing... (no click, no noise, simply nothing.
3) check fuses for ignition and in engine bay, no blown fuses
4) short starter w/ screwdriver, car turns over.
5) turned lights on, try to start, nothing, no drop in voltage at all.
6) Left key in on position checked for voltage at purple wire, nothing.
7) put a voltage probe on the purple wire in the ecm harness inside car, tried to crank no voltage.
8) starting to think maybe VATS
9) fire up laptop and try to connect LT1Edit to wipe VATS out. F&$#$ can't connect, keeps trying to connect but fails. COM port is fine and matches the adapter.
10 ) thinking maybe my usb to serial cable at fault, so I try connecting with Autotap and autotap connects fine.

Any thoughts what else I can try?
- Anyone tell me what the right port settings are for LT1 Edit com? mine are 9600/8/none/1/none

was thinking of jumping the VATS relay, but it's in the dash and hard to get to. Want to make sure i've thought this through before i get further.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

update: I've gotten lt1 edit to connect now, switched around and tried different cables that did the trick.

I disabled VATS and reflashed the pcm. everything was good from that perspective. Went to try starting again and still no luck, same situation. Any thoughts anyone? i'm stumped on this one.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking solved

Well since I didn't have power to the purple wire, I chased it back to the relay. I pulled the relay down and took it off. I jumped the yellow and purple wires through the harness and ...bam!!! fired right up through open headers two years in the making, finally hearing it fire up feels good!