LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Idle Issues

Hello All, Im am an LS1 guy and dont know Lt's that well. The car is a 97 Trans Am, Auto. My buddy was at work, got there no probs. Got in to go home and cranked it up and it was idling wierd. Choppy and car was shaking more than norm. At lower speeds car bogs and sputters. It also backfires at 3000-3500 (Intermttantly) . It has never died though and the check engine light was on for l 30 sec or so the first night, then went out. I went for the O2 sensors (which were covered in oil due to a bad last oil change from sears) and it was good for like 2-3 Min then right back to the same stuff. What I know is done from previous owner is

Pacesetter Lt's ORY
Elect Water Pump
Intake
Exhaust (dont know what kind, but very tame)
Cutout
And he said something about a Computer from a prior Gen F-body.( Dont know what thats about)
It also looks to have some sort of at least Plug Wires as well. (Like I said I dont know what LT1's ignition setup is)

Car has had no probs the year has has owned. Any Advice would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks

Last edited by Beasst8; 05-16-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try and get a code from it...what was the check engine light on for? MAF maybe, but that'll usually kill the car at idle if it is dead or malfunctioning, but maybe not. Codes might help here as they may pinpoint the circuit the problem resides in.

Quick Reply: LT1 Idle Issues