LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355ci rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 355ci rebuild ?

I will soon be rebuilding the stock 140,000 mile LT1. I want to make it a forged 355 LT1. My goal is to make at least 400 hp or more naturally aspirated. Right now my budget probably sits right around $5000. I wanna do the setup right the first time, so I want the right stuff for the engine. I just dont know what is good and what is best. What would anyone recommend be the best (crank, pistons, rods, H/C, etc) brand. Not going to spray the engine with nitrous either. Just all out engine. Id also like to go big with the cam. My car is an automatic. One more question. Would the mono blade TB be a better choice than buying a 58mm TB?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well for heads and cam, you can look up AI or LE. If your just going N/A, should think about just cutting and polishing stock crank and resizing the rods and have them fitted with arp hardware. That what I did with the advice of fellow forum members. It's a proven setup I've seen throughout this forum. I threw in some forged pistons just for the hell of it if i ever thought of spraying it, but I highly doubt it. Lots of threads about this topic. A search can be useful but hell its your build, so why not start your own thread.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I have been looking at AI for the H/C.....might give them a call sooner or later and see what they recommend....What do u mean "cutting and polishing the crank and resize the rods".? Also, what searches might i do on here for info?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TX_LT1_Z28
I have been looking at AI for the H/C.....might give them a call sooner or later and see what they recommend....What do u mean "cutting and polishing the crank and resize the rods".? Also, what searches might i do on here for info?
you can just type in "355 build" "383 build". If you look at my thread under the 383 thead it'll pretty much explain what different routes you can go with. I didn't go with a 383 and stayed with the 355. Its just making the crank true again along with strengthening the stock rods. From what I've read, 500hp crank isnt a problem for the stock bottom end as long as their "freshened up".
There's a lot more threads out there, just type in 355 build.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...383-build.html
Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

When looking at an engine from a power production point of view, remember the four 'C's:

Cubic Inch Displacement

Cylinder Heads

Camshaft

Compression Ratio

The other considerations, like forged this and ARP that are more geared toward reliability/strength/durability.

You'll need to pay extra special attention to the cost of the parts you buy or your budget will soon be eaten up. For example, the cost of a pair of cylinder heads could come close to eating up nearly half of your budget unless you choose wisely.

Read the info on the sites/posts already recommended, then come back to us once you have narrowed down your options. However, don't expect 100% agreement on what parts to use, since most of us have our own views and preferences.

Many are on the AI and LE band wagon, however, I'm not one of them. For me, most of the fun is in doing it myself; making my own choices and decisions. To each his own, though.

400HP isn't hard to achieve at all. Heads and a cam will get you that, and MORE.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Quick Reply: 355ci rebuild ?