LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I have a problem with my lt1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a problem with my lt1

Last night my car sarted acting up and the opti and the coil wire caught fire. what could be the problem?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Change the opti, cap , rotor, ignition control module and the coil. Plus make sure ALL of your fuses are correct for what they are supposed to be.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
Change the opti, cap , rotor, ignition control module and the coil. Plus make sure ALL of your fuses are correct for what they are supposed to be.
That's greeeaaattt advice. Why the hell would he change the ICM without knowing that's the problem. They dont exactly hand them out like candy you know.

Something shorted out, find out what...

The fuse suggestion is another shot in the dark. Even if it was a 30A fuse stuck in the wrong spot it would still blow before burning a 12-14ga or bigger wire.

Opti may be fried, but you can test that, as well as the coil. Id start tracing wires to see what shorted, fix that, and go from there.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Teching In

thanks but i have to get a new opti cause it melted it where the wire for the coil goes.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gregrob
That's greeeaaattt advice. Why the hell would he change the ICM without knowing that's the problem. They dont exactly hand them out like candy you know.

Something shorted out, find out what...

The fuse suggestion is another shot in the dark. Even if it was a 30A fuse stuck in the wrong spot it would still blow before burning a 12-14ga or bigger wire.

Opti may be fried, but you can test that, as well as the coil. Id start tracing wires to see what shorted, fix that, and go from there.
At least I gave a suggestion of where to start. Your comment of the fuse is wrong as well. You've never seen an oulet in a house short out and burn down the rest of the structure? Standard residential breakers are 15-20 amp. They don't blow and still burn the house down. And no **** the opti MAY be fried, he already said it burned.

Most likely cause for something of this effect is that the coil wire was arcing to the opti because it was not on all the way. I've seen quite a few times. Bad thing is, it puts a lot of extra stress on the other components that I mentioned.

And you don't have to be an *** about it.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dude,

Whatever the circumstances, recommending he buy and replace an icm along with everything else is just a little over the top.

The opti I agreed with more than likely needing replaced, and the coil might not hurt since they're not that expensive.

But the icm I would hold off on until you 1 fix what happened and 2 replace the damaged parts.

ICMs, ECMs, PCMs usually don't get "stressed" they either work, or they don't.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

Well I know the car and it has had a "spitting and sputtering" problem for a while. Granted, ICM is something not normally replaced because they either work or don't. Or so I used to think. My car had a high RPM misfire (4500 RPMs +) and I replaced everything. Going on the assumption of the ICM either working or not, I had my problem for a while until I swapped out with a buddy for ***** and giggles. Low and behold, I had a problem that no one had ever seen.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's why I said usually. You would be the exception, not the rule.

And if you know the car why wouldn't you offer to swap icms instead of telling him to buy one, just like your buddy did for you. Assuming he still has a problem that could be blamed on the icm after fixing everything else.

Quick Reply: I have a problem with my lt1