LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rod bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod bearing question

If I need to change a rod bearing in my friends 89 corvette do I need to pull the engine or can I just drop theoil pan and pull the head
Old 05-24-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

You can replace the rod bearing by just pulling the oil pan. Then you just unbolt the cap, push up on the rod to move it away from the crank some, then remove old bearing/clean, then install new one. Just be careful you don't nick the crank with the rod bolts while you're in there.

Why is the rod bearing bad, if the surface of the crank is messed up or the rod is bad it will just happen again?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my95z
you can replace the rod bearing by just pulling the oil pan. Then you just unbolt the cap, push up on the rod to move it away from the crank some, then remove old bearing/clean, then install new one. Just be careful you don't nick the crank with the rod bolts while you're in there.

Why is the rod bearing bad, if the surface of the crank is messed up or the rod is bad it will just happen again?
x2!!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what would you recommend me doing? im pretty sure its a bad rod bearing but i havent taken the oil pan off yet
Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shutzero
what would you recommend me doing? im pretty sure its a bad rod bearing but i havent taken the oil pan off yet

Pull the pan and and have a look. Odds are if it has bad rod bearings the crank shaft is going to be damaged as well. It's probably time for a rebiuld or at the very least, a crank kit.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Pull the pan and and have a look. Odds are if it has bad rod bearings the crank shaft is going to be damaged as well. It's probably time for a rebiuld or at the very least, a crank kit.
i figured that much but was obviously hoping to be able to just replace the bearing lol...so new crank and all new bearings?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

It really depends on how much damage was done, if the bearing is just worn out from high mileage you might be able to replace the bearings if the crank and rods are still good and get a few more miles out of it. Idk how hard the pan is to pull in those cars, but if I were you I'd seriously consider pulling the engine out b/c chances are its not going to be pretty.

Basically if its torn into the bearing the crank will need to be turned to a smaller size (you'll also use different bearing sizes) and the rods will need to be reconditioned. If it spun a bearing, the rods MUST be reconditioned b/c of the way it spins inside of the rod changing the clearance b/t the rod and bearing. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the pan and look. if its the bearing pull the engine and rebuild time

Quick Reply: rod bearing question