LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Buddy has LT1 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy has LT1 problems

Ok so my friend has a 97 LT1 SS. He works at a dealership for a living so he knows cars. He just put $4300 down on parts for his car. The big ones are some big LT4 "style cam" and AI P&P LT4 heads. His real problem is that he put it all together and cranked it it blew a head gasket. He decided he used the wrong head gasket so he got the LT4 head gasket. and the same thing happens he said in a minute or less he had alot of oil mixed with his coolant. Now he is ready to say F it and sale the car as it sits. I say the shop who worked the heads milled them wrong. My question is what do you guys think is wrong so maybe I can tell him whats wrong and he can fix it without selling. He will kick himself in the ***** if he sells it I know he will.

Last edited by BigBirdLS1; 05-31-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Is it coolant mixed in the oil pan or oil mixed in the cooling system? There is a significant difference and one of those combinations means it is most likely something far worse than a blown head gasket.
If a head gasket blows most always you will find coolant in the oil pan. Since engine oil has no affiliation with a head gasket it is impossible for oil to escape into the cooling system when a head gasket gives up. Something is seriously wrong to blow a head gasket just after putting it in...
Out of curiosity, if he knows cars then why are you posting this up here?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am posting it here without him knowing because he is too proud to admit he can't figure something out car related...especially his car. I am sure he said it was a blown head gasket both times. I talked with him again and he said this.

1997 Camaro SS M6 #1390 white with black hard top. just under 80K miles ,has ported LT4 heads, ported LT4 intake, Comp Cams XFi 468 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, hardened pushrods, 39# Ford Motorsports injectors, pace setter long tubes and y-pipe, LT4 valve covers, electric water pump, GMPP single roller t-chain, new GMPP Opti with MSD cap/rotor/wires/6AL box, Eibach Sport springs, UMI LCA, UMI LCAR, UMI subframe connectors, BMR trans tunnel brace, 17x 11 ZR1s on the rear, OEM ZR1's on front, LS1 front brake conversion, ZEX dry nitrous kit, aluminum driveshaft, SLP 2OTL exhaust, 34% underdrive pulley, Kenwood DVD911 head unit with Music Keg, Hurst shafter ball, Autometer Tach with shift light, and something else i sure i'm forgetting.
has at least one brand new blown head gasket. this is the second time i replaced them. the first time they were the wrong gaskets, now they are leaking because i followed ALLDATA's head toqrue specs, and they are wrong. getting coolant in oil and out the exhaust. i'm tried of working on it, time for it to go!

His car ran perfect till all of this. I just want to figure it out cause I really hate to see a F-body so nice broke.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

not sure if this has to do with anything. But maybe the TTY head bolts? just a suggestion, i dont think i saw anywhere in there that u bought aftermarket bolts/studs. also, the aftermarket bolts have different torque specs. Just an idea?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do think that he got aftermarket head bolts. It is not my car but its my buddies car. If he did get aftermarket head bolts would the torque required be higher or lower. I personally have no idea what he torqued them too. He said he used the specs out of some type of manual that he has access to because he works at a dealership. Could the specs in that manual be wrong?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Very possible. ARP for example is usually higher torque. Food for thought.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the thought. I know he is very frustrated with his car at this point so he did probably overlook something like that. BTW could the fact he put aftermarket LT4 heads on it change the amount of torque he should have used. I know that being properly torqued makes a difference but could it be THAT big a differnce that the gaskets blow at idle and not revved up or anything?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

I doubt something that small would make the big of a difference. im not a 100% sure but i think the LT4 have the same head bolt torque spec as LT1.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

In my past experience 3 things:

1. Inproper TQ on head bolts
2. Reusing stock head bolts
3. Heads needs to be decked. not truely flat
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found out what went wrong the ALLDATA manual the dealership has is wrong he ended up over torqueing the bolts by roughly 30-40lbs. He did it twice. My ? is do you guys think that his heads warped or should they be ok. Oh help me LT1 gurus.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know but i wouldn't have thought that over torquing them would cause them to leak. Did he happen to put sealant on the head bolts?

Quick Reply: Buddy has LT1 problems