LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High Pitch Squeal In Wet Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Pitch Squeal In Wet Conditions

This happened sometimes with the stock hood, but since I just got my cowl induction hood, sitting overnight it was way too loud to drive when I started it up this morning.

What should I look into? Alternator bearing, belt, pulley? I'm thinking something is worn out and ordinarily I should be able to leave it parked in heavy rain and it still wouldn't be like this.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
This happened sometimes with the stock hood, but since I just got my cowl induction hood, sitting overnight it was way too loud to drive when I started it up this morning.

What should I look into? Alternator bearing, belt, pulley? I'm thinking something is worn out and ordinarily I should be able to leave it parked in heavy rain and it still wouldn't be like this.
If you have dried grease spots on your belt humidity and moisture will make it squeek and squeel. First check to make sure your tensioner is working and the belt is not loose, and if it looks tight then try cleaning your belt with some belt dressing and see if it helps.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sprayed the dressing on it, went away for about 45 seconds, them came back. Repeated it, same thing. I'm going to try a new belt first, then go from there.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked your pulleys it could be a bad pulley bearing. You can take off your belts and spin them with your hand if its hard to spin or there is a lot of play that is probably it.

Quick Reply: High Pitch Squeal In Wet Conditions